• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are you playing at the moment?

What Build do you play? (ignoring multiclass)

• Fighter

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Cleric

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Wizard

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Invoker

• Seeker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shaman

• Hybrid

• Rogue

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Avenger

• Barbarian

• Druid

• Paladin

• Assassin

• Sorceror

• Artificer

• Ranger

• Warlock

• Bard

• Warlord

• Warden

• Ardent

• Monk

• Swordmage

• Battlemind

• Runepriest

• Essentials Build

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Other Standard Build (not included above)

• Other Custom Build (homebrew)

Lord Ernie

First Post
Where's the love for hybrids? My DM tells me I'm complexity-addicted, but every character concept I come up with seems to best fit a hybrid. I'm currently playing;

Magnus, a human Wizard|Warlock/Astral Ascendant focusing on a mixture of blasting and walls, zones, and forced movement. He recently got a big upgrade, what with curse damage triggering once/turn (my DM decided that the Astral Ascendant damage only triggers once/round, though), but I still have to see it in action. As a character, he's the son of a corrupt nobleman that the party recently took down; he's more or less the "good son of evil aristocrat" archetype, but with a good bit of bitterness and sarcasm added in.

Davos (pronounced Dah-vos), a deva Cleric|Shaman(MC Invoker)/Flame of Hope of the Raven Queen, geared towards boosting and enabling allies (Spirit Infusion, several of the "boost allies next to your SC" powers, and the Panther Spirit (+Int on damage rolls vs. bloodied enemies while next to SC). He's a character I only made recently; so far, he's been established as a diplomat and missionary type, with the additional character tic that he's terrified of germs/dirt/anything unsanitary (he's spent tons of ritual components on the Fastidiousness ritual).

Last edited:

Pentius

First Post
Well, as outlined in my sig:

Noriaki is a Human Thaneborn Barbarian(rather reflavored)
Howler is a Half-Orc Two Blade Ranger
Canus is a Revenant Fey Hexblade

wlmartin

Explorer
Where's the love for hybrids?

Hybrids I imagine are fun to play but I just can't seem to find a build that works and works for my play style.

To me they take too much away from each class and although some have very cool features they are limited in a lot of ways.

It is next to impossible to make a Barbarian Hybrid, for the pure fact that each daily needs to be a Rage (otherwise you are left with a minimal amount of rages)

I have heard of some combinations that work well because of inherent AC abilities and such but mostly it means you have to sacrifice feat slots to get the Hybrid Talent.

I have seen the monk used a lot with Hybrids, I suppose it is because the power of the Monk character dampens the losses you get when hybriding normally.

Hybrid sounds funky but really it is just dualclassing and although the game wants to let us believe that you can multiclass without hybriding, you cant and they should rename multiclassing to something else because taking a feat to get a daily power for something a normal class can do as an encounter is not multiclassing.

Dualclassing has the same problems now as it did back in previous editions, they sound great on paper and are great for RP and flavor but unless you manage to come upon a broken combination, you end up with 2 broken halves of a class that don't add up to one complete class.

Vael

Legend
Currently, we are in an Epic campaign, and I'm playing a Githzerai Swordmage. But I also have a Human Monk and a Half-Elf Bard in other home campaigns, and I played a Halfling Vampire through the last Encounters season.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
Agree with the need for multiple choice. I chose cleric because that's what I play most often, but I also have a ranger and a psion.

Also the "essentials build" option confused me. If somebody is playing a slayer, should they choose "fighter" or "essentials build".

WillOH

First Post
Also playing multiple characters (through LFR): Longtooth shifter Warden, Genasai blaster wizard, Halfling storm sorceror, dwarven warpriest. In campaigns just finished with an elven avenger.

twilsemail

First Post
I'm currently playing a hybrid in a Dark Sun game; a Warlord in an Eberron Game (Mal in my sig); and a Druid (Swarm of Pixies) in L4W (the Irregulars in my sig). Soon I'll be dropping my Slayer for another hybrid, so I stuck with that answer.

I also tend to find hybrids more fun. If a game allows for them to be such, that is.

I do have to say that having a rogue as my primary weapon is a great deal of fun, though.

Mapache

Explorer
As I posted in a similar thread not very long ago, my character in our ongoing Dark Sun Game is an elf hybrid Ranger-Shaman with several powers from the Elemental Priest theme and a Druid multiclass for more healing and the unlimited utility of shapeshifting.

In LFR, the only two characters I really play any more are a Stormsoul Genasi hybrid Ranger-Warlord/Infernal Strategist and a Stormsoul Genasi hybrid Wizard-Warlord/Academy Master.

S'mon

Legend
My regular PC Larsenio Roguespierre is an Essentials human Thief. I'll be playing a dwarf Barbarian in a one-shot on Sunday.

Remove ads