What are you reading? (August 2017)

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
So I'm reading and enjoying REAMDE by Neal Stephenson, and had a moment of clarity that his describing internet technologies and ransomware is very similar to Tom Clancy's technical descriptions. Now, for REAMDE so far it's been things I'm intimately familiar with, unlike Clancy, but that could easily be swapped by an avid but older reader of Jane's.

While I enjoy it, it does make it more verbose and exposition-y. Michael Crichton tends to do it as well, but with whatever flavor of boundary-pushing tech he has hung his latest book on and less on real-world. Compare to Larry Niven (and *) who can do it a little bit, but more often let the reader just pick it up or not, not getting into the details as professorally except in rare cases like Bowl of Heaven/Shipstar.

What are your thoughts when an author's story requires technical underpinnings and they take the pages to go into detail instead of technobabble, but at the cost of some pacing and more tell vs. show?

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
So I'm reading and enjoying REAMDE by Neal Stephenson, and had a moment of clarity that his describing internet technologies and ransomware is very similar to Tom Clancy's technical descriptions. Now, for REAMDE so far it's been things I'm intimately familiar with, unlike Clancy, but that could easily be swapped by an avid but older reader of Jane's.

While I enjoy it, it does make it more verbose and exposition-y. Michael Crichton tends to do it as well, but with whatever flavor of boundary-pushing tech he has hung his latest book on and less on real-world. Compare to Larry Niven (and *) who can do it a little bit, but more often let the reader just pick it up or not, not getting into the details as professorally except in rare cases like Bowl of Heaven/Shipstar.

What are your thoughts when an author's story requires technical underpinnings and they take the pages to go into detail instead of technobabble, but at the cost of some pacing and more tell vs. show?
I prefere plot details and explanations to emotions, character driven stories or fast paced action in my sci-fi novels. I read them for the thought experiments, not bevause I want to know how it feels to be alone in space. I believe this is why like authors like Arthur C. Clarke.

Like any other part of a novel, I think it’s fine as long as it either moves the plot along or develops a character. If it’s just an information blast at the reader, then that’s getting a little too close to telling, not showing.

For an example on the fantasy side, look at Rothfuss’ magical system of sympathy. At the university, it’d be all too easy to have a professor just drone on, as can happen in real life. We learn about it as the main character does. Gaining those powers opens up new plot possibilities for Kvothe. And it also shows that reckless side of his.

Nellisir

Hero
I've been moving and travelling for work, so everything is topsy-turvy. I did read High Fidelity (quite good), the Shades of Magic series by VE Schwab (A Darker Shade of Magic/A Gatherings of Shadows/A Conjuring of Light), and Fellside by M R Carey. Moved on to Years best Science Fiction edited by Gardner Dozios, a perennial favorite.

Intended to read The Boy on the Bridge, or something called The Nightengale (Nightingale?), but haven't.

I have fond memories of the Sandman series (and early 90s Vertigo in general).

Just finished Kameron Hurley’s Infidel. Good stuff indeed. Love the world-building.

Now I’m reading the second Witcher short story collection, Sword of Destiny. I thought the first one was okay, but am hoping that this one will be an improvement.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Too like the lightning by Ada Palmer is a very demanding read, but it is very rewarding. I'm not finished yet, but I highly recommend it just for the world building.

Remove ads