What are you Reading? August August 2019 edition

Perhaps it should be Advanced August, since it's still July. But I'm off to Gen Con and figured I might as well start the next thread now.

I finished up St. Clair's Sign of the Labrys. It was good, and an interesting choice for Appendix N. It's closest to Hiero's Journey, mixing sci-fi and magic in a post-apocalyptic world.

Next up is Truthwitch by Susan Dennard.

Richards

Legend
I started another Jeffery Deaver thriller last night, The Bodies Left Behind. This one is a standalone, about a female sheriff's deputy on the run in the woods with a witness to a killing, while the two hired thugs who killed the young couple the woman was staying with tries to track them down and kill them. I'm already over a hundred pages in - it's no easier to put down than the entries in his Lincoln Rhyme series.

Johnathan

Truthwitch is finished. It was really, really good. Exciting and ending in an unexpected way.

Now it's back to Gardner Fox's Kothar, with "Kothar and the Magic Sword." It may be dumb thud and blunder (I've also heard the term "Clonan" used), yet here I stand again...

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
So I was gone on a cruise, got a lot of reading done.

Read the second of the Murderbot Diaries stories by Martha Wells, Artificial Condition. Enjoyed it though there were no great twists - it feels like it was a story with the ultimate goal being creating characters to show up in later books. Shorter than I like, but fit what was needed.

Talking of a bit short, I read a number of short stories in Cat Rambo's collection Near. Short stories aren't my preferred form, but I was digging these. Reminded me a bit of Jay Lake, in setting up a bigger world that makes you want to read more in it, but dealing with a more contained personal problem. (That's a compliment.) This was my only physical book with me. I had expected the cruise ship to have a library, like the last one did. It did not. (I've been on very few cruises in my life, this wasn't me being the "seasoned traveler", but rather that it was a number of years since the last time and on the same cruise lines, so I expected that innovation would be present. Smaller ship - it was not.)

I read Clean Sweep by husband&wife psydonym pair Ilona Andrews. First of her Innkeeper series. I did enjoy it, even if it had "werewolves" and "vampires" (two things I don't enjoy in my urban fantasy). For all that, fresh. Made me think of Roman Genius Loci.

At that point, sans the library, I was short on books. I didn't have a lot loaded on my kindle that I hadn't read recently, including my other "long series" (Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga), so I fell back on my guilt pleasure of SF star navel battles with good characters and read the first three and a half of David Weber's Honor Harrington series.

Though really, after a while not only does HH become a Mary Sue, but the entire Star Kingdom of Manticore becomes a Mary Sue, so I'm planning on only reading through about half the series. I a few months back read the last HH book (though not the last Honorverse book), and it left me wanting. So now I'll hold off when I feel it jumping the shark, because we have the capstone instead of the potential of other books.

Richards

Legend
I finished The Bodies Left Behind, which was good although the ending was somewhat (intentionally?) ambiguous, which was odd for Deaver. Now I'm reading the next Lincoln Rhyme novel in sequence, The Broken Window, in which Rhyme has to clear his cousin's name after he's framed for murder, while tracking down the real killer.

Johnathan

Sacrosanct

Legend
The Stiehl Assassin that recently came out (terry brooks), and just finishing Goblet of Fire (never got around to reading Harry Potter, so I finally bit the bullet)

Janx

Hero
It's August already?

I finished the last Bannon and Claire novel about a Ripper in Londinium

Started book 4 of the Custard Protocol.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases