What are you Reading? Debonnaire December 2019 edition

Richards

Legend
I'm trying out a new author (new to me, that is), Lisa Jackson, who's apparently been on the bestseller lists multiple times with her thrillers. This one is called "Fatal Burn" and deals with the kidnapping of a 13-year-old girl and a series of fires and murders surrounding the woman who gave her up for adoption at birth. She and the adoptive father are trying to find her, a task made more difficult by no demands (or any communication at all) from the kidnapper. It's okay; the story's interesting enough but the pace is dragged down my the constant time spent on the birth mother trying not to fall for the handsome adoptive father (he's a widower, she's a widow, so it's okay), but he's just so rugged, so masculine, so sensitive, so caring, etc. I imagine it's a bunch of female fans who have elevated her novels to the bestsellers list; I'm more like, "Okay, I get it, you're having feelings for him, I don't need to be reminded about it every damn chapter! Let's get on with the 'thriller' part of this thriller already!"

I'm about halfway through it and hoping the pace picks up. She has left a few clues about the identity of the kidnapper and I do want to see if I pegged it correctly. And I have another book of hers in my "to be read" pile, so I hope she turns out decent enough. But at this point she's not on my list of authors whose works I'd specifically seek out, nor on my list of authors I'd try to avoid in future.

Johnathan

Janx

Hero
Finished Longmire. Working on Scott Meyer's Fight or Flight, book 4 of his Magic 2.0 series.

It's still funny, but seeing the same joke setup across characters and books might be getting old.

Just started reading Fritz Leiber's Swords Against Wizardry. I have been slowly re-reading the whole Fafhrd and Grey Mouser series. Technically, book 3 was next, but my brother borrowed it a while back and can't find it. Shame.

Nellisir

Hero
Just read City of Brass, by S.A. Chakraborty.
It...did not live up to the hype. It's got good intentions and ideas, but the solid bones are buried in a steamy romance novel sauce of muscular djinni bodies, the ordinary human women (who aren't really ordinary) they're drawn to, and etc etc etc.
For the amount of praise it got, I expected more than "it was fine", but that was what I got.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
I'm working my way through the Alphabet Murder Mysteries by Sue Grafton. Currently I'm on R is for Ricochet. My mom loves those books so she turned me on to them. I'm really, really liking them. Next is the "Number Murder" mysteries/Stephanie Plum mysteries by Janet Evanovich which she also loves.

It's really given us something pleasant to chat about.

Richards

Legend
I'm now reading my second (and decidedly last) Lisa Jackson thriller, "Almost Dead," and while it has some interesting elements it's already (I'm 140 pages in, out of 419 total) devolving into another romance. I think I'm going to finish this book and then strike her from my list of authors; she's far too much at the romance end of the spectrum for me; I prefer my thrillers to be more focused on the thriller part of things.

Johnathan

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I'm working my way through the Alphabet Murder Mysteries by Sue Grafton. Currently I'm on R is for Ricochet. My mom loves those books so she turned me on to them. I'm really, really liking them. Next is the "Number Murder" mysteries/Stephanie Plum mysteries by Janet Evanovich which she also loves.

It's really given us something pleasant to chat about.

I enjoy the Stephanie Plum novels. After twenty or so they can be a bit samey, but the characters are so hilarious that you can ignore that. Good balance on the romance/mystery side, too.

Finished up Leiber's Swords Against Wizardry. Really enjoyed it, start to finish. The language is elegant, action-packed, sometimes wry. The climb of Stardock was gloriously tense, Lords of Quarmall like an insertion of Fafhrd and Grey Mouser into Gormenghast.

Next up is the Harry Potter and the Cursed Child play script.

Remove ads