What are you reading in 2022?

G

Guest 7034872

Depending on your translation, the Arabian Nights is a very saucy read. That was a surprise when I picked a copy at random from the library.
Saucy indeed! Lusty, bloody, cruelty-ridden and completely casual about it. It is not something I would read to my kids at night.

Richards

Legend
I'm now reading another book by an author I've never read before, Kerry Schafer's Between, about an ER worker whose dreams start to come true: she meets people she recalls from her dreams and events she dreams about start to happen. It turns out the Dreamworlds are real and there may be creatures from them escaping into the "real world." It was an interesting premise and since my current 3.5 game deals with dreams as a prominent feature I thought I'd give it a shot. At only a couple chapters in, I can at least report that it's well written and is gripping my interest.

Johnathan

I finished re-reading Donaldson's Lord Foul's Bane. When I was younger, I never understood why Thomas Covenant so resisted the truth of the Land. But now, I think I get it. How his very survival was tied to the unflinching reality of his condition and rigid self-discipline. To believe in the land, he felt, would undermine that discipline. A beautiful and complex tale, with beauty offset by some true ugliness.

I read L.D. Lewis' novelette, A Ruin of Shadows. For just under 70 pages, it does a great job at making you feel like you're stepping into a world with history and age.

Now I'm reading Conan the Warrior, by R.E. Howard, edited by L. Sprague De Camp.

Last edited:

I finished Conan the Warrior. The three stories within are visceral, pulse-pounding yarns. Also very racist, and while that comes with the territory, I find how abrasive it is varies from story to story.

Now I'm reading Ben Riggs' Slaying the Dragon.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I am about 100 pages through Harrow the Ninth. I really didn't expect this book to be written in second person. It's really jarring, and the book is really hard to follow. However, I loved the first book, so I'm going to push through.

Ulfgeir

Hero
Currently reading The Scorched Sky by Jon Ford. It is book 1 in a (planned) series called The Femme Fatales. Don't think the rest is written yet. It is however inspired by the old MMO City of Heroes.

Remove ads