What are you reading in 2022?

Arilyn

Hero
I am reading Jon Peterson's books on the history of D&D, and laughing at the part in "The Elusive Shift," where Gygax told a stunned audience the best use of dice are the sounds they make, and DMs are better off using their judgement over dice. Considering the recent heated debates, this just had me laughing out loud.

Also starting into The Rivers of London series. I believe I have a lot of good reading ahead of me in this series.

And a science book called "Entangled Life," by Merlin Sheldrake. All about fungi and the amazing ways they communicate.

Richards

Legend
Destroyer #63: The Sky Is Falling was sadly a lesser-quality entry in the series, given some of the best parts of any Destroyer novel is the interplay between Remo and Chiun and in this book they're each off doing their own thing for most of the story. Add in a plotline where Remo has no idea some crazy lady is blatantly out-and-out lying to him - something he should easily have been able to tell - makes this one a real disappointment.

So on to another Lisa Gardner thriller: Never Tell, about a pregnant woman claiming her innocence despite having been found standing over her dead husband's body with a smoking gun in her hand...and after having earlier been implicated in the shooting death of her father. It's another in the D.D. Warren series that I've enjoyed thus far.

Johnathan

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I am reading Jon Peterson's books on the history of D&D, and laughing at the part in "The Elusive Shift," where Gygax told a stunned audience the best use of dice are the sounds they make, and DMs are better off using their judgement over dice. Considering the recent heated debates, this just had me laughing out loud.

Also starting into The Rivers of London series. I believe I have a lot of good reading ahead of me in this series.

And a science book called "Entangled Life," by Merlin Sheldrake. All about fungi and the amazing ways they communicate.
You'll probably like this video:

When I look at some of the price tags on the books I picked up in the 00s, it seems a different world. I picked up a Greyhawk Folio in decent shape for just $20. Judges Guild stuff for $5-$15. Old D&D stuff has skyrocketed - that's like the one drawback to D&D's surge in popularity.

Before the DnD resurgence, you could buy almost any gaming stuff so cheap. Wish I'd made those investments!

I finished reading the Swords Against Tomorrow anthology. Pretty good stuff, though it's hard to go wrong with the contributing talent.

Now I'm reading Tolkien's The Book of Lost Tales, Part Two.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Finally finished the Ngaio Marsh mystery a friend most recommended (#8 in the Alleyn series Overture to Death. Stopped reading it twice over the past month or so, but stuck on a plain I plowed through and finally got into it.

Read a few more pages of Merrit's Dweller's in the Mirage. It's fine, but... I just don't have any momentum with it. Got the first Alleyn book on my kindle and am trying that.

Last edited:

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Finally finished the Ngaoil Marsh mystery a friend most recommended (#8 in the Alleyn series Overture to Death. Stopped reading it twice over the past month or so, but stuck on a plain I plowed through and finally got into it.

Read a few more pages of Merrit's Dweller's in the Mirage. It's fine, but... I just don't have any momentum with it. Got the first Alleyn book on my kindle and am trying that.
I found Marsh's Alleyn books to be more serious and yet also more enjoyable in some ways than Poirot. Alleyn just seemed a more human character.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I found Marsh's Alleyn books to be more serious and yet also more enjoyable in some ways than Poirot. Alleyn just seemed a more human character.
When I was little read Encyclopedia Brown Hardy Boys, And Holmes... but then not much Detective/Mystery since except the Garrett Files fantasy detective series and the Prey/Virgil books by Stafford.

I got into Nero Wolfe a few years ago, but haven't done any of the other classics. What would you recommend after I finish Marsh?

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
When I was little read Encyclopedia Brown Hardy Boys, And Holmes... but then not much Detective/Mystery since except the Garrett Files fantasy detective series and the Prey/Virgil books by Stafford.

I got into Nero Wolfe a few years ago, but haven't done any of the other classics. What would you recommend after I finish Marsh?
Well, Christie is without question the most popular. I believe at one point the only other book out selling her books was the Christian Bible.

I would also recommend Dorothy Sayer's Lord Peter Wimsey novels.

If you can find the Maigret books, they are more what we would call novellas now (most of them), and are translated from the French. If you can read them in their OG french, even better...

If you like locked room mysteries, you might like John Dickson Carr's novels, he is purported to be the master of the form. They were a bit dry for my taste, and neither of his most famous sleuths' personalities appealed to me.

Margery Allingham's Albert Campion series are hard to find in the library - and the character is a bit too... peculiar? for my taste.

If you want to DM me your google email, I can share with you my google sheets list of Classic mysteries. I need to clean it up a bit - but it's a good place to start. You can copy it and modify it to suit your needs.

I finished Tolkien's History of Middle Earth Pt. 2. Fascinating stuff, as before. Seeing the more villainous depiction of dwarves was wild.

I then read Robert Asprin's Little Myth Marker. If you want an objective review of that series, you can't get one from me. They're so tied up in the beginnings of my love of fantasy that I am incapable of providing one. Loved it, as I have the prior volumes in my re-read.

Now I'm onto John Shirley's Eclipse Penumbra. In between me reading the first one and started the second in the series, 2021 has gone from still being the future to the rearview mirror.

Remove ads