What are you reading in 2022?

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Finished Surface Detail by Banks, it isn't his strongest Culture novel, I think I like Excession or Look to Windward better, started to read Matter again before realizing how many times I had read it. Instead I started on Destiny's Road, by Niven, which is good.
I've only read one, but am interested in reading more for sure, thanks for the "ranking".

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Read books 7-9 in the Superpowered Chronicles (what a boring name) by Arthur Mayor. A bit too heavy on action, still enjoyable.

Started another Kindle Unlimited superhero book called Kill Your Heroes and Writing feels amateur, characters are so far rather two dimensional, and a lot of "sex sells" descriptions.

Reading Hyperion by Dan Simmons for the first time. Yes yes, I know it won the Hugo back in '89 and I'm a little behind the times. So far I'm enjoying it. The science-y aspects have held up well enough for 30+ years of progress, and the framing story + individual stories put me in a Canterbury Tales sort of mood. Had me crying at one point. Nearing the end and I'm worried there's not enough pages left.

I’m reading the 5e DMG, cover to cover, it’s a resolution, gonna be the first person to do it if you believe the internet. yah yah I know you have already.
I know no one actually gives a crap, but a couple weeks ago I finally finished reading the DMG. The whole thing, eyes over all magic item text and everything. Omg why is there 20 pages about planes! How could anyone care.

I know no one actually gives a crap, but a couple weeks ago I finally finished reading the DMG. The whole thing, eyes over all magic item text and everything. Omg why is there 20 pages about planes! How could anyone care.
Classic Movies Running GIF

Make a save

Richards

Legend
I finished Between, and while it started off strong it lost my interest about halfway through. It didn't help that it didn't have much of a real ending, merely a setup for the book(s) that come after. I'm no longer interested.

Now I'm starting up Peter Benchley's White Shark. It'll be interesting to see how he differentiates this from Jaws, especially as that was a great white shark and this one, while supposedly is a much more fearsome creature, doesn't even get "great" in its title. I'm guessing it's a megalodon, beating the "Meg" series by a few years. (White Shark was published in 1994 and Steve Alten's Meg - which I read and enjoyed - came out in 1997.) We'll see.

Johnathan

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
All of the negativity surrounding M.A.R. Barker got me interested enough to pick up The Man of Gold at a local used bookstore. I'm not sure it's worth of all the praise I've seen heaped upon it in the past, but it's not bad.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Reading Hyperion by Dan Simmons for the first time. Yes yes, I know it won the Hugo back in '89 and I'm a little behind the times. So far I'm enjoying it. The science-y aspects have held up well enough for 30+ years of progress, and the framing story + individual stories put me in a Canterbury Tales sort of mood. Had me crying at one point. Nearing the end and I'm worried there's not enough pages left.
Yes, there were too few pages left. Reading a note the author said at a different time, Hyperion has ansecond book at is really one big book, split into two because of publishing realities.

I am on the fence about continuing. Anyone have good (or ill) things to say abotu The Fall of Hyperion? Or the later two books (also one long book) in the series Endymion / The Rise of Endymion?

Remove ads