What are you reading in 2023?

ichabod

Legned
Just finished The Wellstone by Wil McCarthy. It turns out to be the second book in a series, and I hadn't read the first. It seemed to be much later than the first book, and rather independent of it. It's science fiction about a utopia that has conquered need and death. It had some interesting ideas, but I thought the characters and story were rather confusing, especially the ending. This one goes back to the used book store, and I'm not going to bother with the others in the series.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Just finished The Wellstone by Wil McCarthy. It turns out to be the second book in a series, and I hadn't read the first. It seemed to be much later than the first book, and rather independent of it. It's science fiction about a utopia that has conquered need and death. It had some interesting ideas, but I thought the characters and story were rather confusing, especially the ending. This one goes back to the used book store, and I'm not going to bother with the others in the series.
I've got the Queen of Sol (first book in the series - the Collapsium) here on my shelf. It's pretty far down the too-read list however. Guess it'll stay there

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
I've got the Queen of Sol (first book in the series - the Collapsium) here on my shelf. It's pretty far down the too-read list however. Guess it'll stay there
I was friends with Wil in the ‘90s, before life stuff on both ends took us apart. Always pleased they anyone still reads him. :)

Finished Maas' Crown of Midnight right before Thanksgiving. Definitely ratcheting things up from the first book. Looking forward to continuing the series. I do enjoy books about assassins.

Now I'm reading A. Merritt's The Ship of Ishtar.

Finished up the YA novels In Every Generation and One Girl in All the World by Kendare Blake, the first and second in a trilogy which takes place in the Buffy the vampire slayer verse. It picks up long after the tv shows and I think also after the comics.

Reading them felt like actual episodes of the tv show. Sadly the the last book won't be coming out till sometime next year.

Richards

Legend
I finished Whispers, which had a bit too much romance in it for my liking (I forgot - some of the early Lisa Jackson novels went pretty heavy into the romance, and this one was from 1996), and it kind of dragged on a bit, but she came up with a twist at the end I hadn't seen coming, so overall it was okay.

Next up is another novel of hers, Hot Blooded, from 2001. This one deals with two New Orleans detectives trying to solve a string of murders committed by someone calling himself Father John. I know I read a later novel of hers where Father John turns out to be still alive, so this is apparently the first in that series, that I'm reading somewhat out of order. We'll see how this one goes.

Johnathan

Remove ads