What are you reading in 2023?

Richards

Legend
I just started a book called Moon Called by Patricia Briggs. It's a modern-day fantasy where the world has been made aware that werewolves and vampires and the like exist. The main character is a female American Indian skinwalker (whose preferred animal form is a coyote) car mechanic who specializes in German cars. As evidenced by the title, werewolves are going to play a big part of this novel; it's apparently one in a series featuring the lead character, Mercedes "Mercy" Thompson. I'm only a few chapters in but it's already a good read.

Johnathan

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I just started a book called Moon Called by Patricia Briggs. It's a modern-day fantasy where the world has been made aware that werewolves and vampires and the like exist. The main character is a female American Indian skinwalker (whose preferred animal form is a coyote) car mechanic who specializes in German cars. As evidenced by the title, werewolves are going to play a big part of this novel; it's apparently one in a series featuring the lead character, Mercedes "Mercy" Thompson. I'm only a few chapters in but it's already a good read.

Johnathan
Oh man, I read the first 3 or 4 of those, and enjoyed them. Especially good if one is on board with the common urban fantasy tropes as made very mainstream by the True Blood (Sookie Stackhouse) novels (which in turn seem pretty directly derived from World of Darkness, but that's a whole other thread - and probably already has been here on ENW).

Not sure why I stopped, but maybe time to start picking those up again and get caught up

WayneLigon

Adventurer

Johnathan

Love that series. I highly recommend it.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
In the How Did I Miss This department: Bear's New Amsterdam series - The great detective Don Sebastien de Ulloa and his travelling companion, Jack, take the airship from Calais to the great Colonial city of New Amsterdam, but en route Mlle Pontchartrain vanishes while they are over the Atlantic. This is just the start of Don de Ulloa's adventures in the New World, along with Crown Investigator Abagail Irene Garrett, sorceress detective. Absolutely amazing book and I look forward to the rest of the series.

51gW1jCyvjL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

I finished Anderson's Operation Chaos. It's a fun, at times quite gonzo-but-still-coherent, urban fantasy. I'm continually struck by how Anderson's writing style can shift so dramatically to encapsulate the specific tale he's working on.

Now I'm reading the next Thieves World anthology, The Dead of Winter. Late January seems about the right time for that.

Richards

Legend
Having just finished up a werewolf novel, I decided to move over to a vampire novel next: 13 Bullets by David Wellington. It takes place in the modern day, when all the official reports state that a federal agent killed the last remaining vampire years ago. But now there are indications that there's still one vampire out there, and it's up to the agent and his new partner to put her down.

Johnathan

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Just finished Frederik Pohl’s second Heechee novel, Beyond the Blue Event Horizon. I absolutely adored the first in the series, Gateway. But this one was a mess of a let down. Might try the third, might not. Definitely be awhile before reading one of his again.

Not sure what I want to read next. Andre Norton, P. K. Dick, Heinlein, Burroughs (either), Bradbury, Perry Rhodan, Herbert, Clarke…

Starfox

Hero
Late to the party. I've taken up Audible and reading audio book. Read up on some Jane Austen and The Portrait of Dorian Grey. Solid classics. I am attracted by Aurelius, and that's likely up next. I have all these books as "free" offers from Audible Its free as long as you subscribe...

Tried and didn't much like The Expanse. Tried and suffered through the Legend of Tal - aw gawd such whiny heroes.

What I've liked best is the Aubrey-Maturin Series by Patrick O'Brian. Napoleon-era naval adventures in the spirit of Hornblower, but written in contemporary writing techniques. I am on book 4 of what seems a LONG series.
In the How Did I Miss This department: Bear's New Amsterdam series - The great detective Don Sebastien de Ulloa and his travelling companion, Jack
This sounds right up my alley!

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Just finished For the Sake of Elena, a murder mystery by Elizabeth George in her Lynley / Havers novels.

Next up going to read The Genius of Birds and also probably the core book for last year's Spelljammer release; although I'm thinking of reading the adventure instead and if I don't understand a concept going to read the core book. Maybe I'll start a different thread on that...

Remove ads