What are you reading in 2023?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Yeah, the Colour of Magic and the Light Fantastic are his first two books and, compared to the rest, are very rough. (They're still vastly more competent than 90% of early novels.) Starting with Equal Rites, he's doing more than parodying fantasy tropes and is starting his world-building (although the actual events of the novel seem to be forgotten almost immediately, given that we don't see any changes to Unseen University in later books). Guards! Guards! is probably his first really good book.

Small Gods is arguably the best Discworld novel and is a standalone story, almost unconnected to all the other characters he's established, so it's a good place if you just want to dip a toe in. (It's also extremely inspirational for DMing clerics and religions.)

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I was SURE I had read that, and my gf had a copy lying around, and I was bored so I finally flipped a few pages, and...pretty certain I hadn't read it. So I just did this weekend.
Sea of Stars or Hail Mary? I liked them both, they were very different, though both had some absolutely great aliens in them, very alien.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Just started listening to the Coming of Conan the Cimmerian, which makes a big point of only using REH's stories, in their as-approved-by-REH versions, and in the publication order. (The introduction grumps a bit about how many hacky other Conan stories have sullied the character's reputation, making the franchise allegedly more misogynist than REH apparently preferred -- we'll see how accurate this is by the time I'm done with these audiobooks.) I've previously read Conan, but it's been the comics, novels by non-REH authors and a mix of actual REH works, so this approach is appealing.

The biggest immediate surprises for me: The first published Conan story is a King Conan story and Thulsa Doom, whom I think of as a major villain thanks to the movie and comics, is kind of a chump.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Just started listening to the Coming of Conan the Cimmerian, which makes a big point of only using REH's stories, in their as-approved-by-REH versions, and in the publication order. (The introduction grumps a bit about how many hacky other Conan stories have sullied the character's reputation, making the franchise allegedly more misogynist than REH apparently preferred -- we'll see how accurate this is by the time I'm done with these audiobooks.) I've previously read Conan, but it's been the comics, novels by non-REH authors and a mix of actual REH works, so this approach is appealing.

The biggest immediate surprises for me: The first published Conan story is a King Conan story and Thulsa Doom, whom I think of as a major villain thanks to the movie and comics, is kind of a chump.
That’s wild. I picked that one up again earlier today. It’s a great collection and the series in fantastic. Just finished Black Colossus.

The Frost-Giant’s Daughter might disagree with the misogyny claim. The stories are clearly of a different time.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The Frost-Giant’s Daughter might disagree with the misogyny claim. The stories are clearly of a different time.
Yeah, the introduction's author is clearly guzzling the Kool-Aid.

Still, I survived the last two Fafhrd & the Grey Mouser books, so REH just has to do better than them, misogyny-wise.

I have a soft spot for the Carter/De Camp Conan pastiches, but yeah, there's nothing like the pure REH stories.

The funny thing about “The Phoenix on the Sword” is that it was first a King Kull story, before it was rewritten into Conan.

Yeah, though there's plenty that De Camp and Carter added that is wince-worthy, there's also plenty of that in the source material. Having read both De Camp and Carter's individual works, I suspect that it comes more from De Camp than Carter, though certainly Carter isn't entirely blameless in that regard either.

That’s wild. I picked that one up again earlier today. It’s a great collection and the series in fantastic. Just finished Black Colossus.

I finished The Dead of Winter Thieves World anthology. Great stuff, as usual, with a stronger metaplot running through the tales than usual. There's some behind the scenes essays that are very interesting, even if I recoil from Andrew Offutt's describing Hanse Shadowspawn as "looking like Lee Marvin at 23."

Now I'm reading Andre Norton's Warlock of the Witch World.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Hmm, just finished Frost Giant's Daughter. The climax of it isn't great, although it's still less misogynistic than Leiber at his worst (which is a hell of a contest to be in).

Richards

Legend
I finished up 13 Bullets this evening - it was great - and am now looking for something small to tide me over until I go on a business trip in a couple of weeks (in which I'll be bringing a three-in-one set of novels in one thick paperback, perfect for travel). So, despite having several other novels in a series, which I don't want to start yet (because once I start the series I'll likely want to continue on), I decided to pull Arthur C. Clarke's A Fall of Moondust from my yet-to-be-read pile. It was published in 1961 and will likely have some quaint thoughts about the Moon, given the main plot seems to be about a tour ship on the Moon a century in the future becoming stranded beneath a sea of dust. We'll see how it goes; I'll have 5 hours on a plane tomorrow, so plenty of time for reading.

Johnathan

Remove ads