What are you reading in 2023?

Sacrosanct

Legend
I recently finished the Dresden Files, so I picked this one back up. Looking at the posts above, it appears it’s quite the coincidence lol.

F60A6AC7-CA48-4D86-8EB5-33CE7BEF3267.jpeg

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
There's a few of us apparently. I just dived back in my Conan anthology a few days ago.

I'm reading the short stories in one of the many proposed chronological order.

Richards

Legend
I'm reading The Complete Chronicles of Conan by Robert E. Howard, a 925-page monstrosity my kids got me for Christmas. I've read most of the the original Conan stories before, but there are likely a few in here that have eluded me thus far - and it's been something like 30-40 years since I read them in any case. I won't read these until I finish them, though - I have a week-long business trip next week and the book is too big for me to easily read on a plane, so I'll stop at whatever short story I just finished and switch over to a smaller paperback for my business trip, then pick it back up upon my return.

Johnathan

I finished Norton's Warlock of the Witch World. Towards the end there was some trippy, psychedelic magic stuff that was pretty fun but at times hard to follow.

Now I'm finally getting to Ursula K. Le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I don't know why but I've always read anthologies and short story collections one piece at a time with other stuff sprinkled between. So while I'm still working through the Coming of Conan the Cimmerian, I also read Andre Norton's No Night Without Stars. A great novel. Highly recommend it. Might try a re-read of something here soon.

Ulfgeir

Hero
Just finished the book Knightingale by Jon Ford.

It is the first in a series of novellas set in the same universe as his book The Scorched Sky. Which in turn was based on the old mmorpg City of Heroes. The next book in that series will be The Broken Ground and will take place 10 years after the events of The Scorched Sky. Knightingale though is a the first in a series called The Femme Fatales, and where The Scorched Sky was en ensemble cast, this one focuses fully on one character, and some of the important stuff that that character does in the time between the books. The author likened the main series as the Avengers films, and these novellas as the solo films for the characters.

So the young heroine Gale Knightley, aka Knightingale, she is a healer, and has been studing to become a doctor. This book deals with what happens when she responds to a call, and loses a patient. How she just can't let go of that. She tries to find the answers to why, and what she could have doen differently. Her search for answers leads her to a deeep rabbit hole of doubt and insecurity, and she seems to take on more than she can handle.

I really liked the novella, as it gave a good presentation of the character and what she went through, and eagerly await the next book. You don't have to have read The Scorched Sky to enjoy this one, but it helps, as it gives more background of who the other characters that pop up are. You should of course also like superheroics.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I finished Norton's Warlock of the Witch World. Towards the end there was some trippy, psychedelic magic stuff that was pretty fun but at times hard to follow.
I remember as a kid in the 70's I found quite a few of Andre Norton's books hard to follow. I haven't read any recently, but have one somewhere around here (I think it's Witch World actually). I should grab it and see if it's still the same confusing stuff

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases