• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are you reading (May 2005)

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
Finally reading "War of the Spider Queen": currently on Volume 3.
It's good, but not great: I think I'm suffering "Drow Burn-Out".

After that?
Probably the "Black Company" and the "Wizard for Hire" stuff.
Then on to the "Obsidian Trilogy" and the "Fools Gold" series.

CCamfield

First Post
Tolen Mar said:
On another note, I just found a copy of 'nine princes in amber.' Finally my collection is complete (well, sans the prequals anyway)! Do you have any idea how annoying it is to own books 2-9 of a series, but not #1?

Are you aware that there are 10 Amber novels, not 9? :) The 10th one was Prince of Chaos.

I am feeling quite book-deprived here. I just re-read my copy of Zelazny's Doorways in the Sand (one of my favourites) and was going to start re-reading One For the Morning Glory but as I read this thread I remembered that I never finished reading the online version of the Chinese epic Romance of the Three Kingdoms, so I think I will get back to that.

Lhorgrim

Explorer
I just finished The Dark Tower by King. Now I'm reading Magician Apprentice and Magician Master by Raymond Feist. Somehow over all these years of reading fantasy novels I managed to totally overlook these books :\

Enjoying them quite a bit so far.

Tolen Mar

First Post
CCamfield said:
Are you aware that there are 10 Amber novels, not 9? :) The 10th one was Prince of Chaos.

*Goes to his bookshelf...one...two...three...darn it all!*

I forgot about that one. Yeah Ive read it. Rats now I have another one to go digging for.

So a revision:

Do you know how annoying it is to have parts 2-9 of a series but not #1 or #10?

:)

haiiro

First Post
Still reading Omega (hard SF by Jack McDevitt), along with Grasp of the Emerald Claw (the third Eberron adventure). I just finished Whispers of the Vampire's Blade (the second Eberron adventure), and next up is a piecemeal re-read of the Eberron CS.

Can you tell I'm about to start running an Eberron campaign? ;)

CCamfield

First Post
Tolen Mar said:
So a revision:

Do you know how annoying it is to have parts 2-9 of a series but not #1 or #10?

:)

Heheheheh :) Well congrats on having that many of them. I did manage to collect them all myself... and then I went and bought the Big Book of Amber. Which unfortunately is too big and bulky to really read comfortably, so that was kinda useless to me.

Krug

Newshound
Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. Still don't quite buy into his saying that snap judgements are the things we should trust.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
Gentlegamer said:
Just finished "The Fallible Fiend," and now onto "The Goblin Tower," both by L. Sprague de Camp.

De Camp is a favorite. The Unbeheaded King is a great book, that I should get around to rereading one o' these days.

I'm in the middle of Feist's Magician. It's fun.

Poster Bard

First Post
Three Hearts and Three Lions by Poul Anderson is what I carry in my pocket these days. I'm getting back to my roots and running down the list in the 1E DMG inspiration section. :)

Benben said:
Gilgamesh by Stephen Mitchel. It doesn't look to be a scholarly translation, in fact it's not a translation at all but a reworking of availbable translations and made into a more coherent whole. This is fine by me as other translations of Gilgamesh that I've read have been rather stale. After this will be Derrek Hine's post modern rendition.

I have a copy of Robert Silverberg's Gilgamesh the King that I've never gotten around to reading. It's from 1984 but looks to have been constructed much in the same manner as you describe the Mitchel version to be. One of these days... :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads