What are you reading, Septembre 2018 edition

I dug it, on the whole (the ending felt a bit abrupt, but then again, maybe I’m still used to the Wheel of Time’s pace). I think the snark could’ve gotten old in a full-length, though.

Now I’m reading Barbara Hambly’s Dragonsbane.

I'm also reading it. I'm at 60%. I'm curious to know how you find the snarkybot.

Then I'll read vN by Madeline Ashby.

carrot

Explorer
The Runelords. About two thirds of the way through, very much enjoying it so far......

I enjoyed it too, and its a pretty good series... But since David Farland hasn't finished/released book 9 yet (It's been nearly 9 years since book 8 was released) you might want to hold off reading any more.

darjr

I crit!
Reading Priest by Mathew Colevile. At first it bothered me that it was in his voice in my head, but then I really like listening to him talk, so bonus!

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I dug it, on the whole (the ending felt a bit abrupt, but then again, maybe I’m still used to the Wheel of Time’s pace). I think the snark could’ve gotten old in a full-length, though.
I liked All Systems Red. It was fun, mainly because it was short. It didn't reinvent much though. The snarky narrative makes it the child of John Scalzi's snarky dialogues. I will not read more Murderbot stories, unless they are free like this one.

Yeah, my copy wasn’t free, but it was discounted. I don’t think I’d otherwise follow up on it. It had its share of charm, but I think one novella worked for me.

I liked All Systems Red. It was fun, mainly because it was short. It didn't reinvent much though. The snarky narrative makes it the child of John Scalzi's snarky dialogues. I will not read more Murderbot stories, unless they are free like this one.

Mallus

Legend
I'm probably contractually obligated to read at least one of something called the "Murderbot Stories". That said, I'm currently reading Raven Stratagem by Yoon Ha Lee. It's the sequel to the excellent Ninefox Gambit. Fascinating and clever science-fantasy space opera that reminds me a bit of Orson Scott Card back when he was good and non-brain et.

After that, I think I'll give The Crying of Lot 49 a re-read. Then maybe Woodward's book.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Finished Brave new World so moving to an audible collection of every RE Howard Kull/Conan tale from Strange Tales. 35 hours of swords and sorcery, drinking and wenching, thieving and slaying. Oo yeah. I've read a lot of them but not all, and this will be fun while I paint stuff.

Richards

Legend
I had a business trip this week (lots of time spent on planes and in airports), so I finished up Adam and am now almost done with Dragon Teeth, a novel by Michael Crichton published posthumously. It's very good, telling the (factual) story of a rivalry between two paleontologists in the days of the Old West, when dinosaur bones were being discovered in droves.

Johnathan

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases