What are you reading this year 2020?

Finished Vance's The Dying Earth yesterday. If anything, I love it even more, re-reading it many years later. The world is so weird and vivid, filled with characters good, evil, and indifferent.

Now I'm reading something more modern, C.S.E. Cooney's Desdemona and the Deep.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Currently catching up on my Abercrombie having received the first of his new trilogy as a gift for Christmas. One of my favorite authors, but the last couple of years have seen my reading plummet to what it had once been.

On Heroes now, which is very good so far. Then I’ll read Red Country. After that, I’ll read the new one, A Little Hatred.

I have a stack of books that has built up over the last 5 years. And also a list of books I’ve been making of things I want to check out. Need to really ramp up to get where I once was.

The quarantine hasn’t helped. Still working full time, and also have the kids at home at all times.

carrot

Explorer
How long is that series supposed to be? 4 books published so far? (I haven't started Kingkiller Chronicles yet due to slowness of releases. Treating Stormlight Archive the same)

Apparently 10... Sanderson has said 2 sets of a 5-book story arc. He does seem to have slowed down in his writing, so that may be a while.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Just came across my copy of Soon I Will Be Invincible - I forgot I loaned it to my eldest and it's been in her room forever.

While superheroes aren't my normal genre, I do find that I like deconstructions (and reconstructions) of the genre, as long as they have a good story to go with them. SIWBI (above) is one of them even if there are the occasional cringeworthy chapter. There's a decent amount in the Wearing the Cape series as well as The Legion of Nothing web series. But I've also been disappointed with some, such as All Of Those Explosions Weren't My Fault, though that could be because they mixed in vampires with supers and that's not chocolate & peanut butter.

So, what superhero deconstruction/reconstruction fiction with a good story would you recommend?

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
How long is that series supposed to be? 4 books published so far? (I haven't started Kingkiller Chronicles yet due to slowness of releases. Treating Stormlight Archive the same)

Book 4 will be out this autumn. There is a 5th book scheduled for "Era 1" of the Stormlight Archives to finish it out. I believe there will eventually be another 5 books for an "Era 2"

Sanderson is really good every December about doing a "State of the Sanderson" blog post about what he did that year, and about his writing plans for the future, often going out even 5 years! He also has a progress tracker for his writing on the site, as well.

State of the Sanderson

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
How has that changed from the first campaign setting guide? Did they advance the timeline or something?

Yes, they have. They incorporated a lot of events that occurred in the Adventure Paths and Pathfinder Society during 1st Ed. So the World Wound has been closed. There is a new Pirate King in the Shackles. There is a new country that broke off in rebellion against Cheliax. A new Empress in Taldor. Fall of the Technic League and new goddess in Numeria. The Big Bad is the returned lich from that island in the middle of Lake Ecanthen (sp?). That's what I'm remembering off the top of my head. The most important/biggest change is the returned lich and the destruction of Lastwall.

Remove ads