What are you reading this year 2020?

Well, this is a rarity for me. I abandoned The Way of Kings today, about a third of the way through. Honestly, the individual parts are good, but there's just too much going on. It's like trying to have a pile of cookies after already having eaten two slices of pie and a big slice of cake. I feel like it would've been the stronger book had it been more focused; I started skimming through whole chapters.

So, next up is the (much shorter) Black Amazon of Mars by Leigh Brackett.

Black Amazon of Mars went quickly. A crackling sharp Sword and Planet tale. It wastes no time and still manages to paint a vivid picture.

Next is Joy Chant's Red Moon and Black Mountain. My edition has a glorious Ian Miller cover.

Janx

Hero
I finished Magic 2.0 book 5 by Scott Meyer and started Kevin Hearne's giants book set in a new world that doesn't include talking irish wolfhounds.

First 8 pages were everything we tell writers not to do and I almost put it down. Bad Kevin. Then it picked up and got better.

Richards

Legend
I just started "The Kill Room" by Jeffery Deaver, the 10th book in the Lincoln Rhyme series. (I've read the first nine and I got book #11 for Christmas so I ordered this one so I could continue to read them in order.) This time Rhyme's trying to find a government assassin responsible for killing an American in the Bahamas.

Johnathan

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Reading Revenant Gun by Yoon ha Lee. Third and final inthe Machinations of Empire series. This series has some of the freshest worldbuilding (well, universebuilding) I've had the pleasure to enjoy in a while. Characterization is good, an the author comes up with some entertaining turns of phrase. This book takes place over a span of years with several point of view characters, making the plot possibly the densest of all three - but this is a third book we've had time to internalize the worldbuilding so that's not a distraction and can keep up with it.

So far so good, but I'm had minor disappointment in the ending of the first so I'll have to see how it wraps up the series. But I'm expecting good things.

Remove ads