What are you reading this year 2020?

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Still reading Eric Larsen's new book The Splendid and the Vile. Actually really makes you consider how good we have it, even if we are all "sheltered in place." I mean, they continued with life while bombs were falling on their heads.

Finished Terry Pratchett's Making Money. The next book is on order, but there's no next day delivery of books right now given the pandemic.

Still Reading Brandon Sanderson's Words of Radiance.

Still reading Pathfinder 2E Lost Omen's World Guide.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Recently re-read - unlike many series and books I loved as youth that I have re-read now in this century to disappointment (Hello Edgar Rice Burroughs, I'm looking at you...) - Lloyd Alexander's books HOLD UP.
That series was the first to introduce my youngest daughter to Fantasy years ago.

Now she's in two D&D campaigns.

Mission: Accomplished.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Still reading Eric Larsen's new book The Splendid and the Vile.

Starting Terry Pratchett's Unseen Academicals.

Finished reading Brandon Sanderson's Words of Radiance.

Started and finished Brandon Sanderson's Edgedancer.

Started reading Brandon Sanderson's Oathbringer.

Finished reading Pathfinder 2E Lost Omen's World Guide.

Started reading 5e's Explorer's Guide to Wildmount.

Richards

Legend
I finished Magic to the Bone and while it was a good read - interesting characters, fascinating worldbuilding as far as how magic fits into the real world, cool plot - I was disappointed in that this ended up basically being a novel-length prologue to the real story, which will no doubt unfold in subsequent novels. I'll probably pick them up if I stumble across them but I'm not left with a desperate need to know what happens next.

Now I'm reading Terry Pratchett's Thief of Time. You pretty much can't go wrong with a Discworld novel.

Johnathan

Finished reading Karl Edward Wagner's Midnight Sun. Honestly, I loved the writing, the horror-infused fantasy, the weariness of eternity you feel through Kane. But eventually Kane wore out his welcome. By the time "A Gothic Touch" came along with the guest appearance of Elric and Moonglum, I was feeling less than charitable as their presence was mostly used to exalt Kane some more.

Now I'm reading the Maker of Universes, by Philip Jose Famer.

Nellisir

Hero
Finished Witchmark, by CL Polk. I enjoyed it quite a bit more than I expected, and have tagged the second book for purchase soon. Solid 4/5

I'm in a pretty comfortable place right now bookwise. I've picked up, and been reading, The Explorer's Guide to Wildemont and Eberron: Rising From the Last War. Both have ups and downs. I've also read the DtRPG's Moonshae Isles Regional Guide (a warmed-over rehash of FR2 with minor updates; 2/5) and The Border Kingdoms (TBH a hundred pages of Ed Greenwood is...a bit much. He leans on his stock personalities a LOT. And cutesy "local flavor", like "in the Viscounty of Whizzbang ale is served in measures called dragonflagons, and the more potent Guzzer's Red in gondshots, by Haila Woodenstockings, the cheerful and buxom proprietess (who is secretly a 13th-level wizard and Harper ally who slept with Elminster once; the stableboy is her polymorphed copper dragon companion, who ALSO slept with Elminster)" and "the local military force, known as Green Glaives, and their leaders, the High Emerald Glaives (who are secretly all Zhentarim horses and slept with Elminster once)") Snide commentary aside, there's a lot more to work with in The Border Kingdoms than the Moonshae Guide, and there's been work to update the Kingdoms since Greenwood's 3e-era article series on the WotC site, so thumbs up for that.

(For the record, my gold-standard for campaign setting books is the 3e Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide. And the lack of a serious, comprehensive, in-depth guide to the Moonshaes is criminal. I bought Darkwalker on Moonshae when it first came out, and thought the Moonshae's would be a major factor in the Forgotten Realms. I'm still getting over pissed about that one.)

I'm waiting on two Calidar books, and several fiction books have shown up. The new Murderbot novel isn't released until May though, so that sucks. Murderbot is AWESOME.

Edit: On reflection I'm not "getting over" it. I still want my heavy-Celtic FR, dangnabit.

Last edited:

Remove ads