What are you reading this year 2020?

Nellisir

Hero
Tasha's you kind of have to read, just to keep up on everything - especially if the players are asking to include it. I do like the optional feats; I'll be allowing them.
Agreed. It doesn't seem bad, I guess, but I don't run or play a game currently so it's just homework for me.

Sandman Slim I liked, the 2nd one was pretty good too. I haven't gone on to read the rest; but apparently Kadrey produced the final one in the series this year. I like series that come to an end. (Ah, a quick glance at GoodReads, 12th book coming out next summer will be final volume.) Maybe I'll get back on the train and try to read the rest before the end.
12 volumes. Sheesh.
Mike Carey's Felix Castor series is only 5 books and pretty similar in tone, if you like that genre. I liked the series.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Godless Citizens in a Godly Republic: Atheist in American Public Life

A book about politics and religion. It's an excellent history book thus far. It starts off in the early colonial days. I'm finding it fascinating.

Nellisir

Hero
Found, and read, Kill the Dead, the second Sandman Slim book by Richard Kadrey. Decent, not spectacular. I don't mind looking for more but I'm not going to go nuts about it. 3/5

I've got non-SF/Fantasy books piling up, so going to try and switch gears for a bit and read those. We'll see how it goes.

The DCC Lankhmar boxed set is a wonderful work. Even if you're not planning on running it, seeing all the information about Lankhmar codified and centralized is just grand. As for the tables and charts, DCC RPG definitely leans in on those heavily - it's one thing I'd say is a flaw in an otherwise lovely product. Every spell having its own caster chart is just too much.

DCC Lankhmar absolutely blew me away with the insane production values; not so much with the vast number of pages taken up by situation specific charts (this is my first encounter with the DCC rule system and...wow. What a waste of space in this BEAUTIFUL product!!!);

I finished reading Farmer's A Private Cosmos - it's a rollercoaster of a read, though I think I preferred Wolff as the protagonist. Winter's The Fires of Vengeance was amazing. Evan Winter is a phenomenal new voice in fantasy literature. And I finished Lord Dunsany's The Book of Wonder. I loved it, but maybe not quite as much as other works by Dunsany.

Now I'm reading Robert Adams' Stairwell to Forever. Last time I read this was when the book was new, and that was some time ago.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Still reading Exploring Eberron by Keith Baker.

Still reading Night of the Assassins: The Untold Story of Hitler's Plot to Kill FDR, Churchill, and Stalin by Howard Blum.

Still reading Dawnshard by Brandon Sanderson.

Still reading Searching for Bobby Fischer.

Still reading Proven Guilty by Jim Butcher.

Still reading The Last Threshold by R. A. Salvatore.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
After the Norton kick, I have been reading some Delaney: Driftglass (shorts), The Einstein Intersection; except I do have a Ben Bova book waiting - Exiles of Earth Omnibus that I want to read.

Nellisir

Hero
I couldn't sleep and started Don't Look Back, by Karin Fossum, a Norwegian author. VERY readable. Flows right along. Biggest hassle was putting down the book to try and sleep again.

In the general category of "things that are written", I actually got a pile of Christmas cards addressed yesterday and filled a good chunk of my new address book. This is stuff I've been meaning to do for years and I'm quite chuffed about it. It's awful trying to think of exactly what to write on each card, though.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Just finished Everything All at Once by Bill Nye. Someone put it in our little library months ago....not bad, not great. I wouldn't buy it. I have a huge number of books to read next. Waiting for my Sanderson books to come in the mail (though I have Stormlight? one here.....).

I finished Robert Adams' Stairwell to Forever, and I was glad to be done with it. Hoo-boy, there's a lot to unpack. It's so very 80s, but in a bad way. Imagine if the The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe began with finding a treasure in Narnia, then spent 75% of the book detailing the main characters getting rich selling it in our world and having to defend his wealth from "furiners" and "the guvamint." Just about everyone but the main characters are written speaking in some sort of crude and stereotypical dialect, and it starts to feel insulting to the people depicted. In general, the book feels very sordid.

In conclusion, it was a trainwreck that I couldn't look away from. Also, I can't believe I read the thing when I was 12.

Next up is Seanan McGuire's Down Among the Sticks and Bones, which is already a much better portal fantasy.

Remove ads