D&D 5E What are your 5e houserules

Lyxen

Great Old One
One thing 5e doesn't get enough credit for is changing a lot of bonuses to extra dice.

While I agree, the main change was bonuses to advantage/disadvantage, the extra-dice are extremely occasional, very welcome but (thankfully too) limited.

It's so much easier to remember when you can simply put the die in front of the player, and it just feels better to literally hand someone else a dice as a bard.

Indeed, as long as there are few of them.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I had a read through the portal and the extended rests mentioned something about spending hit dice on domain actions. I know extended rests were used in strongholds and followers, have you built upon these rules?
Oops! I meant to include that - but yes. This variation of rules is a still a work in progress and the "domain powers" are still only additional class abilities though at higher levels I plan to make them more about the domain itself and building armies/followers.
Edit to add: @cbwjm, I can send you what I came up with so far and what we are playing with/testing. The thing about S&F I did not like is that for a cooperative party-based game it presumes that each member of the group will have their own domain or that one of them will be the main master of the domain, when the group wanted something as a group. As such, I came up with the idea of the "Adventurer's Lodge" - it is not a castle or fort (though it could eventually be built up into one), but a place to spend downtime, hire servants and other hirelings, for henchman to stay, where messages are sent, etc. . and that belongs to all of them.

The hit dice expended for domain powers cannot be regained until a character spends an extended rest at the domain - so the price can be hefty. So far I have only had on character make use of one once, but I just introduced them session before last.

Last edited:

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
Rule zero Don't be a jerk.
Rule one Let them play.
Natural one always a miss. (Does not cause extra consequences unless the situation calls for it).
Natural 20 always a hit (does not trump success being impossible).
Surprise can happen anytime that the target is unaware of any threat, even if combat is already going on.
i.e. incapacitated may be an acceptable substitute for purposes of surprise. Knocked out, Sleep spell, etc.
Extra consequences possible for falling. (max damage, need to heal to be able to stand/walk etc.) possible.

1. HP is rolled every level including first. No CON mod added.
2. HP Max is capped at 50.
3. Completely revised weapon and armour list based off of how rare a piece of gear is in the world. Made gauntlets, greaves and helmets separate pieces of armour that increase AC or give damage reduction.
4. Some pieces of armour provides damage reduction, the highest value being a 6 from a full suit of plate (which is a very rare piece of equipment).
5. The static proficiency value is replaced with the proficiency dice rules from the DMG.
6. Warlocks are the only class that can up-cast a spell. They also can cast the same spell multiple times a day, whereas other spellcasters cannot. This comes at a price however. Whenever a warlock casts a spell they lose HP max equal to the spell level.
7. If a character reaches zero HP, they succumb to their wounds and die if no one comes and stabilizes them with a healers kit or magical healing before the start of their next turn. Coming back from zero HP costs a hit die. If your character doesn’t have any hit die left, they can only be stabilized with magic healing. Additionally, a healers kit only brings a character back to 1 HP, which is dangerous because I also play that if a characters HP would be reduced to -10 they are dead outright. Being at 1 HP means the character is one or two good whacks away from certain death.
8. Gold for XP
9. 4D6 drop the lowest but in order from Strength to Charisma.
10. Slotted inventory. The number of slots depends on the type of backpack and belt set up the character is using. A basic has 6 backspace slots and two belt slots. Things like shields, bows and quivers are slung onto the person so don’t take up space.

I’m also using a lot of what is included in the greatest supplement I’ve laid hands on: 5E Hardcore Mode. Currently using these rules in conjunction with 5EHM to run the mega-dungeon of Barrowmaze. It’s been a blast.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
It's fun reading everyone's house rules!

Here are mine for the current campaign:

1. Drinking a Potion is a Bonus Action

2. Flanking increases the chance of a Critical Hit by 1, instead of providing advantage

3) All enemies have some form of Immunity, Resistance, and Vulnerability. This was a player request, they like the puzzle aspect of it.

4) Combatants get a Wound Point when they receive a Critical Hit or reach 0 HP. If your Wound Points reach your 1st Level HP, you are dead. Wound Points heal during Downtime.

5) We roll randomly to see which character has Inspiration. When they use their Inspiration, it goes randomly to another character. Every time a character gets Inspiration, they have to answer a question from the 36 Questions to Fall in Love. I cannot recommend this House Rule enough, it's so much fun!

Stalker0

Legend
if you make 2Handed style +1d6 damage instead of whatever we skip now excuse for a style and change one handed from +2 to +d4.
I condensed TWF, THF, and dueling into a single "offense" fighting style that gives +2 damage to melee weapons. Has worked really well, you don't have to think about it, its always useful, you can switch around your weapons and still get a bonus so your not pigeonholed, its great.

Laurefindel

Legend
I have a few houserules, most campaign-specific for immersion.

One I'm trying (had been in effect only for one game so far) is a Dark Souls RPG-inspired initiative rule whereas monsters and NPCs all act on initiative 12. Then, players either roll normally, with advantage, or with disadvantage given the situation. Players immediately know where they stand and the combat starts smoother. Reactions from players have been positive so far.

In our present game we don't care much about equipment but in one of my previous campaigns, encumbrance worked like this.

You have an amount of equipment slots equal to your Strength score. (Dwarves added CON modifier to STR score)
Light items, weapons, and armours weight 1
Medium items, weapons, and armours weight 2
Heavy items, weapons, and armours weight 3
Backpack weights either 1, 2, or 3, in turn affecting the "supplies DC" to know whether you run out of water, food, arrows etc. That part needed work. I'm anxious to get my Level-Up book and see if I can make it better.

In the same campaign, bucklers were considered a 1d4 bludgeoning light weapon (for TWF) and you could spend your reaction to gain +2 AC against one attack. Medium shields were standard, plus you could spend an action to raise your shield for 1/2 cover (+2 AC on top). Heavy shield gave +2 AC and you could use your reaction to gain +2 bonus to Dex saves vs fireball-like spells, and you could spend an action to raise your shield for 3/4 cover (+5 AC on top).

Remove ads