D&D 5E What are your biggest immersion breakers, rules wise?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Besides, if you're going to throw the spear that far why not chuck it just a little further and put it through the caster's gut - interrupt the spell,
In a response action not enough time for a full launch where you get to put your whole body into it thats why :) , Perhaps either of these or I suppose the latter might be some saving throw for NO damage. - both sacrifice one of your items... unless that later is the spear you mentioned (or the shield is also badass magical)

Last edited:

No, I understand exactly what you’re saying and I agree with you in the case of arrows and musket balls. What I’m saying is, lightning does not travel the same way that arrows and musket balls do. It’s not a matter of lightning traveling too fast to dodge (arrows and musket balls travel too fast to dodge too, what you’re dodging is the marksman’s aim.) The issue is that lightning is not a projectile that travels from A to point B, it is an electrostatic discharge that happens when positively charged electrons from point A and negatively charged electrons from point B meet. If you are point B, lightning physically cannot miss you, any more than it can miss point A, because points A and B are both origins of the lightning.

lightning-works-method.jpg

The only way a lightning attack missing makes any sense is if the lightning fails to occur at all (in which case it should do no damage on a miss/successful save) or if “lightning damage” is not actually lightning but a projectile of some kind of magical energy that electrocutes the attacker on contact. And in the latter case, yes, you’d be dodging the caster’s aim rather than the projectile.
The object that is "point b" is defined by what the caster is aimed at at the last moment. If you moved at just the right time and the caster doesnt change aim you are not going to be the object the caster is aimed at properly at the moment of casting. So dodging the casters movements do work perfectly. Object b isnt you if you arent being aimed at accurately at the moment of release. Nothing has changed here imo.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Fair point. But I think my point still stands that there are basically two solutions to this issue (or I guess three, if you’re willing to consider allowing the character to move on a successful save). You can change lightning attacks to Con saves instead of Dex saves, or you can do what it seems like the all folks who responded to my comment do and decide that in your setting, lightning spells don’t function like real-life lightning, but are instead magical projectiles (e.g. Zeus’ bolts.)
But even just hitting the floor as a “muscle memory” reflex response to a charge in the air makes sense as causing you to take less damage.

Because half damage represents, in this case, getting shocked, but not being directly in the path of least resistance. You’re just close enough for a bit of charge to branch off into you.

It’d make more sense to always allow (but not require) 5ft of movement away from an effect when you make a Dex save, but it still makes sense without that.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
But even just hitting the floor as a “muscle memory” reflex response to a charge in the air makes sense as causing you to take less damage.

Because half damage represents, in this case, getting shocked, but not being directly in the path of least resistance. You’re just close enough for a bit of charge to branch off into you.

It’d make more sense to always allow (but not require) 5ft of movement away from an effect when you make a Dex save, but it still makes sense without that.
I like the potentially controller effects all of this implies the character being unable to take opportunity attacks and being prone the next round or moving away.

Doofus_12

Villager
The easiest way I have seen to fix these "non magical super healings" is in the 2e SRD. I made it into a variant rule, which I will describe below, but I advise only using it in a "gritty realism" campaign - otherwise, you (as a DM) are quite likely to thoroughly vex your players, possibly causing them to lose interest.
Here is a summary of my variant rule:
Short rest only restores one Hit Point
Long rest allows you to spend a Hit Die
Regain one spent hit die for one day of normal rest (typical of a long rest)
Regain two spent hit dice for one day of total bed rest (nothing more strenuous than eating, drinking, breathing, sleeping, light reading, etc.).

pming

Legend
Hiya!

(On Healing...my house rule is...)
Short Rest: Nothing changes.
Long Rest: Everyone gets 1/2 their HD, rounded up, 'for free' (NO CON Adjustments, however!); they just roll that in the 'morning' if they are wounded. After that 'free' roll, they can spend normal HD as, well, normal, and get to add their CON adj to these rolls.
Example: A 5th level Fighter with 12 CON. In the morning, he rolls 3d10 and gets that many HP's back. The player decides to spend 1 of his 'normal' HD as well, so rolls 1d10+1 and heals that too. He has 4HD left to spend.

Derren

Hero
Levels.

The level system is the root cause for much of the annoying things in D20 games. Gaining HP each level causes the HP inflation and with it the need for superhealing. Levels cause the "instant wizard" problem when you multiclass while on the other hand make single classed characters look like robots with a very limited skillset they can't deviate from. Levels also cause another problems with skills as everything you do and can learn is now linked to your fighting ability. And finally, levels are the reason why there is so a jarring difference in capability between people.

Levelless systems are simply so much superior.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases