D&D General What are your Core races?

edemaitre

Explorer
While my long-running homebrew campaign setting has numerous playable ancestries and cultures/nationalities, these would be the core without the traditional demihumans (Dwarves, Elves, Halflings):

-Humans
-Aarakocra (for a winged race)
-Catfolk (Kitsune, Nekojin, etc., for a light-footed species)
-Gnomes (for a smaller fey or mountainous race)
-Goliaths (Giant-kin, for a large race)
-Reptile folk (for an ancient, amphibious race)
-Wolven (for barbaric humanoids)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
When somebody else says "You CANNOT tell me . . . (whatever)", it is not really an insult to observe that they seem closed-minded. I would agree with you if I had come out and said something along the lines of "You really are a closed-minded A.$.$.", but I intentionally chose otherwise.

There is a fundamental inconsistency with calling me out for being insulting without actually warning the person that I originally quoted. Maybe you should moderate him, hm? Please do so.

It is usually more efficient to start with the root of the problem rather than trying to trim a branch. Actually, that is a fair analogy for the difference of opinion that lead to this.
Don’t. Argue. Moderation. In. Thread.

If you think your post was unfairly moderated in the light of someone else’s post, report that post. Or take it to PMs.

Wulffolk

Explorer
Don’t. Argue. Moderation. In. Thread.

If you think your post was unfairly moderated in the light of someone else’s post, report that post. Or take it to PMs.

If I am publicly reprimanded for something that I disagree with, then that requires a public defense. Debating the issue privately does nothing to clear up a public situation. If the mods would have preferred to handle this privately, then a private warning would have been more appropriate. Show the respect that you expect. I can do color fonts too.

I did not feel the need to beg a moderator to handle something that any mature adult should be able to handle directly on their own. Apparently, the other person prefers sending reports. I still don't feel a need to report the original post. Though it was crude and rude, it was far from meriting any serious rebuke, as was my response to it. As far as I am concerned this matter was settled and forgotten two days ago.

We can either drop this now and move on like adults, or unnecessarily escalate the situation further. What won't happen is that I meekly accept public criticism without publicly replying, unless the mods can't handle public debate and strip that ability from me.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If I am publicly reprimanded for something that I disagree with, then that requires a public defense. Debating the issue privately does nothing to clear up a public situation. If the mods would have preferred to handle this privately, then a private warning would have been more appropriate. Show the respect that you expect. I can do color fonts too.

I did not feel the need to beg a moderator to handle something that any mature adult should be able to handle directly on their own. Apparently, the other person prefers sending reports. I still don't feel a need to report the original post. Though it was crude and rude, it was far from meriting any serious rebuke, as was my response to it. As far as I am concerned this matter was settled and forgotten two days ago.

We can either drop this now and move on like adults, or unnecessarily escalate the situation further. What won't happen is that I meekly accept public criticism without publicly replying, unless the mods can't handle public debate and strip that ability from me.
See ya!

I do like to include elves and dwarves because they have a broad provenance in folklore and literature, but abiding by the rules in the op...

Human

the classic elementals...

Gnome
Salamander
Sylph
Undine

and a handful of intelligent beasts..

Canine
Feline
Equine
Ursine

d24454_modern

Explorer
I do like to include elves and dwarves because they have a broad provenance in folklore and literature, but abiding by the rules in the op...

Human

the classic elementals...

Gnome
Salamander
Sylph
Undine

and a handful of intelligent beasts..

Canine
Feline
Equine
Ursine
I love elementals and classical mythology, so I might've tried that.

I'd go with about one species per creature type. They don't literally have to be the same creature type for each.
  • Races
    • Human (humanoid)
    • Ogre (giant)
    • Centaur (monstrosity)
    • Illithids (aberration)
    • Dragonborn (dragon)
    • Azer (elemental)
    • Tiefling (fiend)
    • Celestial (celestial)
At least if I was going for a European based campaign.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I love elementals and classical mythology, so I might've tried that.

I'd go with about one species per creature type. They don't literally have to be the same creature type for each.
  • Races
    • Human (humanoid)
    • Ogre (giant)
    • Centaur (monstrosity)
    • Illithids (aberration)
    • Dragonborn (dragon)
    • Azer (elemental)
    • Tiefling (fiend)
    • Celestial (celestial)
At least if I was going for a European based campaign.
how do you plan on making a playable illithid?

Remove ads