What are your house rules?

Zander

Explorer
Here are my house rules based on KotS and what I've read here at EN World about the core rules:

1. No dragonborns or tieflings as PC races, but may appear as monsters/NPCs
2. No warforged at all.
3. Halflings have same speed as dwarves, not humans
4. Gnomes and half-orcs OK as PC races from MM, possible LA depending on details
5. Each square of diagonal movement or range counts as 1.5 squares. Areas are RAW.

What are your house rules?

Apologies if a similar thread exists already. If one does, can a mod please merge them? Thanks.

keterys

First Post
Well, I plan on playing for quite a bit before I leap to any major house rules. To be honest, I don't consider your #1, #2, or #4 actual house rules. That's just campaign setting fluff.

Are you going to give Halflings some benefit to counterbalance reducing their speed?

If you haven't _tried_ the new diagonal rules, I suggest trying them for two sessions before tossing them... I do suspect it'll be a pretty common houserule, however.

I think I'll be allowing some options as freebies as my first minor house rules... like allowing an action point to let you reroll an attack, giving out more action points than usual to reward making the game more fun (cool RP, a great joke, awesome one liner, whatever), and quite possibly some extra power(s) in some fashion... like an extra at-will seems really appealing.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Based on my initial two games, they will primarily be fluff instead of crunch: tieflings are degenerate albinos with the same fiendish curse, dragonborn have tails. I haven’t run across any mechanical issues that I feel strongly enough about to house rule yet.

I'm running nine "no house rules at all" games. I'll decide for sure after that's complete.

Zander

Explorer
keterys said:
Well, I plan on playing for quite a bit before I leap to any major house rules. To be honest, I don't consider your #1, #2, or #4 actual house rules. That's just campaign setting fluff.
They're deviations from the RAW but not changes to the mechanics. I don't know what to call them except "house rules". Perhaps there should be two types of house rule: the game mechanic type and the flavour type.

keterys said:
Are you going to give Halflings some benefit to counterbalance reducing their speed?
Probably not but I'll see how that pans out.

keterys said:
If you haven't _tried_ the new diagonal rules, I suggest trying them for two sessions before tossing them... I do suspect it'll be a pretty common houserule, however.
I'm too much of a Euclidean to allow 1-1-1 diagonal movement. I use the 1.5 diagonal cost system in my 3.5 games and it works fine. Adding halves isn't complicated and certainly a lot easier to handle than non-Euclidean spatial distortions.

Remove ads