• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are your player behavior rules in F2F games?

aramis erak

Legend
I've always been fortunate to have reliable, involved players for long-term campaigns. I couldn't imagine dealing with the volume you had to.

Lucky for the hobby there are people like you.
And I prefer shorter campaigns, 2-4 months... 6 to 8 on the outliers.
Living near Oregon State, many gamers here are only good on a semester by semester basis.

And I prefer shorter campaigns, 2-4 months... 6 to 8 on the outliers.
Living near Oregon State, many gamers here are only good on a semester by semester basis.
Yeah, in my early days I had the same problem. Since I started my current group, it hasn't cropped up.

We change settings about every 50-70 sessions these days. I can't even remember what a one-shot feels like...

aramis erak

Legend
Yeah, in my early days I had the same problem. Since I started my current group, it hasn't cropped up.

We change settings about every 50-70 sessions these days. I can't even remember what a one-shot feels like...
Last two of the local cons weren't held due to lockdown, so no real "one-shots"... tho' the intro adventure in Monarchies of Mau (same engine as Pugmire, a divergent 5E derivative) is excellent (and a mirror on the current political issues)... took 4 sessions - short ones, about 3 hours each.
My favorite one-shots have been Star Wars d6 and MLP:TOE. (Especially the Zombie Pony explaining to the villains the value of sharing... Priceless. And yes, Zombie ponies ARE official, and are allowed as PCs. They're in the bestiary.)

Mine, currently are:
1) No smoking indoors. (nobody smokes anymore, but its still in place).
I don't smoke, but nobody I know who does smoke would dream of smoking indoors in someone else's house. (I don't mean they'd ask first, I mean they'd go outside without even asking, unless the host had already made it clear smoking indoors was fine.) Most of them don't smoke indoors in their own houses either.

If I instituted that rule in my group they'd wonder if the next rule was going to be "no urinating on the carpet".

I don't smoke, but nobody I know who does smoke would dream of smoking indoors in someone else's house. (I don't mean they'd ask first, I mean they'd go outside without even asking, unless the host had already made it clear smoking indoors was fine.) Most of them don't smoke indoors in their own houses either.

If I instituted that rule in my group they'd wonder if the next rule was going to be "no urinating on the carpet".

Eighteen years ago, when that rule was passed (by the host of the game) smoking indoors was still fairly common. All of my gamers are old enough to recall the days when every table in restaurants had ashtrays.

The times have changed so much...anyone remember the foil disposable ashtrays McDs used to use?

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Okay, I'll bite. What's the story behind this one?
This was a meme that grew over at Paizo's boards. A player was asking for advice about his current gaming group situation. This resembled a Reddit "Am I the A-hole?" thread where people ask the internet who is causing the issue.

The poster said he brought donuts to every session. The Poster felt this entitled them to a glass of the host's milk, which they took without asking. After a few sessions the hosts asked the poster not to drink their milk anymore. The poster did it again anyways and was kicked from the gaming group.

Now I cant help but think of "dont drink the host's milk" anytime player behavior rules discussions pop up.

This was a meme that grew over at Paizo's boards. A player was asking for advice about his current gaming group situation. This resembled a Reddit "Am I the A-hole?" thread where people ask the internet who is causing the issue.

The poster said he brought donuts to every session. The Poster felt this entitled them to a glass of the host's milk, which they took without asking. After a few sessions the hosts asked the poster not to drink their milk anymore. The poster did it again anyways and was kicked from the gaming group.

Now I cant help but think of "dont drink the host's milk" anytime player behavior rules discussions pop up.

I would say that helping yourself to other's food without an invitation would be unacceptable.

The train of thought to get from "I bring donuts" to "I can go into the hosts fridge without asking" is just baffling. I imagine if the poster had just asked "hey, could I please have a glass of milk?" then they would have been fine. I have a well-stocked liquor cabinet and when we were gaming in person, I was more than happy to mix something up for a player upon request, but were someone to just start helping themselves, oh no, that's a big problem.

I'm reminded of a player that never brought a darn thing to gaming, but always expected me to have wine at the ready. For myriad reasons, he got the boot.

game of thrones agree GIF

Humans are baffling. This is known.

Remove ads