D&D 5E what are your top three "$#%#@$ stop forgetting this rule" annoyances?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
However, even if the players knew the XP and they would level soon, it doesn't really affect play much if they blow any remaining inspiration in an encounter. We would just play it that the character had a very lucky day. It also means they probably didn't spend them before when doing so might really have been a better idea.

In Star Wars, we did see this kind of dynamic - saving the points for big spends at the end of the level. And... we liked that.

It allows for a bit of a crescendo of action when you approach a level-transition. For a genre that's based on "episodes", that's actually a feature, not a bug.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
No I disagree, phb193-195 covers making attacks, the rules for off hand attacks are in that section alongside ranged attacks/ranged attacks in close combat/melee attacks/etc. The fighting style & feat only apply if you have them.

Which is fine if you start knowing all the rules pat, and have that as a starting goal for your build.

But, if you don't start knowing everything pat, or having it as a goal to start with, you later find yourself wanting to do a thing, and not knowing that there are three separate rules bits you have to have picked up before it works as you'd hoped.

Human cognition isn't rules-based. It is desire based. Folks will entirely unintentionally forget rules if they are in the way of their desires.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Which is fine if you start knowing all the rules pat, and have that as a starting goal for your build.

But, if you don't start knowing everything pat, or having it as a goal to start with, you later find yourself wanting to do a thing, and not knowing that there are three separate rules bits you have to have picked up before it works as you'd hoped.

Human cognition isn't rules-based. It is desire based. Folks will entirely unintentionally forget rules if they are in the way of their desires.
Maybe at level one or two, but not level ten or fifteen. They should know how their ability works by tier2/tier3 play.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
1. Inspiration. Already mentioned. This is a great mechanic, but it's almost always forgotten. In addition, when it has been granted to the players, they don't use it because it's so valuable (?!?).

In part. The player having no concept of when they may get more is also relevant. If the GM has been forgetting inspiration, they get out of the habit of giving it out. Which tends to lead players to hoard it. Which means the GM doesn't see it used, and so they forget it and don't give it out. Vicious cycle.

Another variant that I have seen vastly increases Inspiration economy flow - use Inspiration as a pool. The Pool maxes out at one point per player. If anyone earns inspiration, it goes into the pool. Any player may use it with agreement from the other players. You have a stack of tokens on the table representing the pool, which the GM can see and track as a reminder of how much the party has on hand, and when they may want to offer more. Also largely eliminates the "You just did something cool, and I'd give you inspiration, but you already have one point, so you don't get any more."

With a pool, the party is actually incentivized to use at least one point every tie the pool is full, so they can accept new points if the GM feels they ought to have it. Raising the cap from one point per person might have similar effects - say your maximum inspiration pool is 1 point per character level.

2. Ad/Disad. What? Yeah. Other than specified instances (such as a spell or ability), players never seem to look for, or ask for, ways to get ad or avoid disad creatively. Which is a shame.

Has the GM regularly demonstrated (not just mentioned in passing in Session 0, but actively engaged in) handing out advantage for clever play? If not, don't blame the players for not spontaneously engagign in, "Mother, may I?" play. Players will tend to reach for reliable solutions first - that means the rules that everyone has agreed apply. Expecxting them to come to the GM is... kind of making them plead for it, which isn't a great dynamic sometimes.

MarkB

Legend
Damage rolls. Yes, you can add your Strength or Dex bonus (depending upon which one you used for your attack roll). No, you don't get to also add your proficiency bonus. Why isn't this written down on your character sheet already?

Nebulous

Legend
3. Spells. This is a huge pet peeve for me as a DM, but there is nothing worse than a player casting a spell, and not knowing what it does. Waiting for a player to look up the spell that the player cast is the essence of annoyance.

Related, when a player has cast said spell for a while, and then I take a closer look and realize it has been done wrong and I kick myself for not paying closer attention and assuming the player would do it correctly.

Maestrino

Explorer
I actually really like the DM Inspiration hack from the Angry GM. (Bardic Inspiration is fine as-is.)

I'll see if I can summarize.
1. All players start with one inspiration, and can spend it for advantage on a d20 roll at any time. (attacks, saves, ability checks, whatever)
2. After you spend your inspiration, you can regain it by imposing disadvantage on yourself on a d20 roll by RPing via your character's personality flaws.

Rinse & repeat.

So you can say "my fighter hates spiders so bad that I'm making this attack with disadvantage" or whatever.

GlassJaw

Hero
1. Inspiration - which saddens me; great concept, poor/lackluster execution
2. Hit Dice for healing - I can't count the number of times I've explained the rules for spending & regaining Hit Dice :cautious:
3. My players sometimes get confused with spell targeting, but that's mainly due to not reading the spell carefully enough.

Remove ads