D&D 5E What at-will 1st level spells wouldn't be overpowered?

Rhogar_Rarr

First Post
Good point on the command, thanks.

Would Hellish Rebuke or Earth Tremors break anything at level 7 or 9? These customizations are for a game I don't anticipate going past 10.

So in theory they can probably do about ~15-20ish damage at-will with eldritch blast around level 7-9. Note that Earth Tremor does not do any damage on a successful save, so you'd have to have 5 enemies fail their saves for comparable damage (plus the prone effect). And you have to be careful about not blasting your own party. Either you risk hitting your own party or you rush into a group of enemies alone... All for minimal damage and some possible terrain control. I'd say due to the risk vs benefit of At-will Earth Tremor, it's probably okay to cast at will.

On the flip side, Hellish rebuke gives them guaranteed extra damage (half on a save). And this does not conflict with their normal damage output because it is a reaction. Not too mention their is no risk to your team. Hellish Rebuke at-will is quite a bit more powerful than your other at-will options.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
So in theory they can probably do about ~15-20ish damage at-will with eldritch blast around level 7-9. Note that Earth Tremor does not do any damage on a successful save, so you'd have to have 5 enemies fail their saves for comparable damage (plus the prone effect). And you have to be careful about not blasting your own party. Either you risk hitting your own party or you rush into a group of enemies alone... All for minimal damage and some possible terrain control. I'd say due to the risk vs benefit of At-will Earth Tremor, it's probably okay to cast at will.

On the flip side, Hellish rebuke gives them guaranteed extra damage (half on a save). And this does not conflict with their normal damage output because it is a reaction. Not too mention their is no risk to your team. Hellish Rebuke at-will is quite a bit more powerful than your other at-will options.
Yea, totally agree. I'm taking out Hellish Rebuke and making Earth Tremors a level 5 option.

pdegan2814

First Post
Ok, here's a quick list of some spells I'm on the fence about, I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Color Spray - leaning towards no.
Command - maybe?
Compelled Duel - maybe?
Divine Favor - leaning towards yes.
Earth Tremor - leaning towards yes.
Faerie Fire - almost definitely yes.
Grease - leaning towards yes.
Hellish Rebuke - maybe?
Shield of Faith - leaning toward yes.
Sleep - Almost definitely no.

At-will Faerie Fire? Yes please :) Seems a bit strong though, maybe one free(i.e. no spell slot) casting per short rest? I'd also probably limit it to Archfey Patrons only for flavor. Maybe create a set of Patron-specific invocations, for balance.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
At-will Faerie Fire? Yes please :) Seems a bit strong though, maybe one free(i.e. no spell slot) casting per short rest? I'd also probably limit it to Archfey Patrons only for flavor. Maybe create a set of Patron-specific invocations, for balance.
Well, this is actually for a concept I'm working on for a class with Warlock as the chassis, but is actually the default "Mage" class for the campaign. So the patron thing I'm not concerned about, although it's a great thought for just houseruling the Warlock as-is, Patron specific invocations would be excellent.

And "at-will Spell X, yes please!" is what I want the bulk of the invocations to be like, so that's great feedback for me. :)

Remove ads