D&D 5E What campaign is next?

Well, there was this old tread talking about WotC doing a "rebooted" Greyhawk (think Battlestar Galactica). I'll see if I can dig it up. Mike Mearls tuned in, as his campaign basically is a rebooted Greyhawk.

And as one poster on rpg.net says in reaction to some of the monsters in MMIII (a poster on rpg.net has it):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant
I don't have the book yet, but I'm pretty amused that today's sneak preview is all about the Greyhawk Rain of Colorless Fire. Looking at the previews: mimic, beholder, Rain of Colorless Fire, Son of Kyuss, rot grub, Lloth? Man, there's a bit of an old-school Greyhawk vibe to all that.

So who knows?

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
As noted, we are having another "genre", Gamma World, and I would expect modern, space, and so on to follow depending, but not as a "setting".

But then, what? Right now we have

Nentir Vale
F. Realms
Eberron
Dark Sun
The Planes

These cover a lot of ground. A lot of high fantasy, pulp, and sword and sorcery ground.

ki11erDM

Explorer
Been really going back and forth on what i want it to be. Reboot of Greyhawk or Dragon Lance would be damn nice. Something new, like say… the world of Order of the Stick…
But I am not sure WotC needs to worry about the cannibalizing of settings like FR… they aren’t making any more books for it (as far as we know)… and I am betting the FR books that are going to be sold probably have been sold. I just don’t think that old logic holds up, unless they are going to publish more setting specific books again (which they might).
I just wish I knew for sure when they were going to announce it.

tyrlaan

Explorer
weem, whether you're kidding or not, I have to seriously get behind that guess.

Think about it. Partnering with Blizzard to put out 4e Azeroth would probably be the easiest and quickest way to expand WotCs market. Sure, not everyone that plays WoW is going to be into tabletop RPGs, but even if only a small percentage of them are merely TRP-curious, there's no reason not to tap into the juggernaut that is WoW. What's it's user base at? 11 million?

The tie-in potential could be absurd as well.
  • Do a season of Encounters in Azeroth, where the points you earn at encounters can be cashed in for vanity pets in WoW
  • Add the occasional "rare" power card to the WoW CCG boosters
  • Complete achievements in WoW to earn points usable in the Encounters season

Mind you, I feel a bit ill writing those tie-ins, but if you're goal is to expand your market and make $$, a pairing of DnD with WoW is pure win.

BTW, WotC, if you're reading this I'm open for freelance marketing work ;)

Remove ads