What Can We Learn from Computer RPGS?

aramis erak

Legend
You know, it might be kind of cool to have a tutorial level in an RPG. You just start out with a mostly blank character sheet, perhaps with the minimum in statistics and skills, and go from there. Your character just rolls whatever skill/stat that's relevant during game play and you get a good idea of how things work by the time you're done with the session. I don't know how practical that might be but it sure sounds cool.
Modiphius put mechanical support for that in both Dune and Star Trek Adventures.
The Dune Starter Box will probably also be that mode.

FFG's starter boxes include the first XP spends on a fully pregen, but take a step-by-Step instructional mode the same as Modiphius' offerings.

You know, it might be kind of cool to have a tutorial level in an RPG. You just start out with a mostly blank character sheet, perhaps with the minimum in statistics and skills, and go from there. Your character just rolls whatever skill/stat that's relevant during game play and you get a good idea of how things work by the time you're done with the session. I don't know how practical that might be but it sure sounds cool.

I just started a very crunchy Fate game (Mindjammer) where characters have 7 aspects, culture, genotype, 3 stunts, 5 fate points, skill pyramid, and buy a host of equipment with a point buy system. It was a lot, so I did exactly as you suggest!

I asked people to describe their core concept as an aspect, and ran a scene with just that. People had not even defined a profession or culture (unless its was part of their core). Then we added two more aspects and ran scenes for each of them (as they got together). After that we defined skills and played for another 90 mins or so, then added some more aspects and some equipment. At the end of the session I recapped how much of their character sheet was still undefined and most of them filled it, some left it till during the next session.

I've done something similar before in GUMSHOE. I actually think it'd work fine in most systems and it may be SOP for me now!

Aldarc

Legend
I just started a very crunchy Fate game (Mindjammer) where characters have 7 aspects, culture, genotype, 3 stunts, 5 fate points, skill pyramid, and buy a host of equipment with a point buy system. It was a lot, so I did exactly as you suggest!

I asked people to describe their core concept as an aspect, and ran a scene with just that. People had not even defined a profession or culture (unless its was part of their core). Then we added two more aspects and ran scenes for each of them (as they got together). After that we defined skills and played for another 90 mins or so, then added some more aspects and some equipment. At the end of the session I recapped how much of their character sheet was still undefined and most of them filled it, some left it till during the next session.

I've done something similar before in GUMSHOE. I actually think it'd work fine in most systems and it may be SOP for me now!
When running Fate, I generally tell players to pick a High Concept, a Trouble, maybe one more Aspect (if they already have an idea), and one stunt. The rest can be filled in as we go along and they get a better sense of their characters.

Aldarc

Legend
Adding more to this thread:

I'll just say that I would like to see TTRPGs that take more open inspiration from JRPGs. The tone for every fantasy adventure TTRPG doesn't have to be 50 Shades of Conan, Lord of the Rings, or even D&D brand fantasy, and it's okay for Western TTRPGs to draw influence of tone, style, and stories from JRPGs. Also, many of these games often have fun engaging turn-based party combat because every character usually has interesting abilities to use on their turn. It doesn't require a giant spellbook of abilities stuck to one character to achieve. Just enough so that everyone has something they can do.

Almost needless to say, one American TTRPG that seemed similar to a JRPG was actually 4e D&D, which reminded me a bit of Final Fantasy Tactics. The Lancer RPG seems to be in a similar vein. And obviously Ryuutama, a Japanese TTRPG, shows clear JRPG influences.

aramis erak

Legend
Also, many of these games often have fun engaging turn-based party combat because every character usually has interesting abilities to use on their turn. It doesn't require a giant spellbook of abilities stuck to one character to achieve. Just enough so that everyone has something they can do.
While perhaps not suited for all genres, Sentinel Comics even has an ability for your character to use when pounded out of the action... So even when down and dying, you still have a power you can use, and can influence the situation.

Aldarc

Legend
While perhaps not suited for all genres, Sentinel Comics even has an ability for your character to use when pounded out of the action... So even when down and dying, you still have a power you can use, and can influence the situation.
Guild Wars 2 has a downed/dying state. You have a new, limited set of profession-appropriate skills you can use as your health deteriorates in this downed state. If you can make a kill while downed, you can rally up to partial health. Your allies can also help rally you in this state. (The more, the quicker.) But foes can still cause damage or even finish you off this way too.

Remove ads