D&D (2024) What can WotC do in OneD&D to make the DM's Guide worth buying?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I'll just have to echo this. I am hardly an influencer, but I was disappointed with the DMG when it first came out. I was hoping for the modularity that was discussed so much during the playtest, and it just wasn't it.

I don't know how much is going to change in the next Edition, but unless there are big changes, to either the system or the new DMG, I'm not going to be interested. And you know what? There's nothing wrong with that. Just like there's nothing wrong with liking what's in the current book.

I do think WotC is in a bind, though: if the next edition is very much a "5.5" what would there be in the new DMG to make it a useful pickup if you already have the current one? And if it's very different, what's going to be there that will be truly different? I'll tell you that saying "feel free to make up what you want" isn't going to convince many people that they need to buy the book.
Newbs need books, folks like me who didn’t pick up 2014 DMG, those who wore out their copy, collectors, etc….

delericho

Legend
When the 5e DMG first came out I thought it was great. It was only with time that its limitations became apparent - the monster building table is badly misaligned with the MM monsters, the optional rules are insufficiently fleshed out (and so to actually use them I need to homebrew my own versions anyway), and so only the treasure tables and magic items actually see use. But the most frustrating thing about it is that it could be so much better - indeed, Level Up demonstrates this quite handily (though I'll hasten to add that that is one to do it, not the way to do it).

I still think it's one of the best DMGs across all the editions. But that says more about other versions than about this one.

Clint_L

Hero
I still think it's one of the best DMGs across all the editions. But that says more about other versions than about this one.
I tend to agree. I think TSR/WotC have never really had a clear concept for the DM's Guide, unlike the other two books.

I keep going back to the concept of a guide. Make it more of a guide. If you are a new DM, you should need it. If you are a veteran DM, you should want it.

Late to the game here, but I find the DMG incredibly useful for, well... dungeon masters. The 5th edition DMG was, in my opinion, one of the, if not the best, gamemastering books ever written. Its advice on how to tailor the game to your table's needs was impeccable. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Late to the game here, but I find the DMG incredibly useful for, well... dungeon masters. The 5th edition DMG was, in my opinion, one of the, if not the best, gamemastering books ever written. Its advice on how to tailor the game to your table's needs was impeccable. Of course, this is just my opinion.
Sure, but you already own it! If this version is compatible.....how could they make a DMG you'd want to buy again?

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Some of these are already in 5e DMG, some are not
  • How to make a monster
  • How to make an encounter
  • How to make an adventure

• How to make a spell
  • How to make a class
  • How to make a sub-class
  • How to make equipment (ok, this one's probably pretty simple)
  • How to make a magic Item

• Ideas on what to do with money
  • Other modes of Magic besides Vancian (perhaps not accessible to players, but only monsters/NPCs)

Remove ads