D&D (2024) What can WotC do in OneD&D to make the DM's Guide worth buying?

Having them in the DMG also discourages players from thinking of them as just another character option (like they were in 4e) and that's the way I want it.
since they are options of things that players can have, I much prefer the 4e approach where they are in the PHB... if nothing else atleast common/uncommon ones the PCs can be able to make with some downtime.

edit: TBH I want the DMG/PHB put into 1 book anyway. Leave out as much as you have to to be able to run the game on as few books as possible... heck take a page from 3e and throw some monster stats in the back so you can start with JUST the PHB

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
edit: TBH I want the DMG/PHB put into 1 book anyway. Leave out as much as you have to to be able to run the game on as few books as possible... heck take a page from 3e and throw some monster stats in the back so you can start with JUST the PHB
PF1 did this and I really liked it. The books that came after where gamemastery guides that gave advice and optional rule systems for the GM to use and Ultimate campaign guide to homebrewing your own campaigns. I think this was a great move on Paizo's part.

PF1 did this and I really liked it. The books that came after where gamemastery guides that gave advice and optional rule systems for the GM to use and Ultimate campaign guide to homebrewing your own campaigns. I think this was a great move on Paizo's part.
most games are really 1 book for the main game (PHB/DMG/MM)

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
True, but just in case folks are thinking D&D never has, and for some reason couldnt/shouldnt, PF1 is the case study saying it can.

Counterpoint-

Achilles: Hey, Zeno, I have a great idea!

Zeno: .......

Achilles: ZENO! ZENO! ZENO! ZENO! ZENO! ZEN......

Zeno: What. What do you want this time?

Achilles: Okay, so here's the deal. You know, how, since the 70s, D&D has always had the three core books? For every edition? You know, the PHB, the DMG, and the MM? The holy trinity? The three sisters? The Athos, Porthos, and Aramis of rulebooks?

Zeno: Yep, I know.

Achilles: Well ... what if we just ... don't?

Zeno: I'm .... I'm not following you?

Achilles: Yes! Exactly! We're going GALAXY BRAINED on this, Zeno! Instead of selling three books with a rich history and name recognition, we will sell ... wait for it .... wait for it .... wait for it .... ONE BOOK! We can call it something evocative, like ... I dunno ... D&D Core Rules.

Zeno: So your suggestion is to take three brands with almost 50 years of history and get rid of them. And to reduce the amazing sales of three books into one book?

Achilles: YES!

Zeno: But why?

Achilles: This is the prestige. Because ... other less successful games without the brand recognition do it!

Zeno: Okay. Um ... and how are we going to make up the lost sales from going from three well-known books to one book? Are we going to raise the price egregiously?

Achilles: Of course not! I don't have that step figured out yet, but .... I am sure that there is profit on the next step! GALAXY BRAINED!!!!!

Zeno: .........this is why I have your phone number blocked, Achilles.

payn

Counterpoint-

Achilles: Hey, Zeno, I have a great idea!

Zeno: .......

Achilles: ZENO! ZENO! ZENO! ZENO! ZENO! ZEN......

Zeno: What. What do you want this time?

Achilles: Okay, so here's the deal. You know, how, since the 70s, D&D has always had the three core books? For every edition? You know, the PHB, the DMG, and the MM? The holy trinity? The three sisters? The Athos, Porthos, and Aramis of rulebooks?

Zeno: Yep, I know.

Achilles: Well ... what if we just ... don't?

Zeno: I'm .... I'm not following you?

Achilles: Yes! Exactly! We're going GALAXY BRAINED on this, Zeno! Instead of selling three books with a rich history and name recognition, we will sell ... wait for it .... wait for it .... wait for it .... ONE BOOK! We can call it something evocative, like ... I dunno ... D&D Core Rules.

Zeno: So your suggestion is to take three brands with almost 50 years of history and get rid of them. And to reduce the amazing sales of three books into one book?

Achilles: YES!

Zeno: But why?

Achilles: This is the prestige. Because ... other less successful games without the brand recognition do it!

Zeno: Okay. Um ... and how are we going to make up the lost sales from going from three well-known books to one book? Are we going to raise the price egregiously?

Achilles: Of course not! I don't have that step figured out yet, but .... I am sure that there is profit on the next step! GALAXY BRAINED!!!!!

Zeno: .........this is why I have your phone number blocked, Achilles.
Are the sales that amazing for the DMG? Also, Achilles left out the part about the GM advice and campaign tips books. Two additional books to sell!

Snarf Zagyg

Are the sales that amazing for the DMG? Also, Achilles left out the part about the GM advice and campaign tips books. Two additional books to sell!

Yes. It is consistently in the top five, and usually the third-best seller, among D&D books. Even right now it is #3.

Heck, it is regularly in the top 500 in overall books. It's practically a license to print to money.

payn

Yes. It is consistently in the top five, and usually the third-best seller, among D&D books. Even right now it is #3.

Heck, it is regularly in the top 500 in overall books. It's practically a license to print to money.
Aren't there only like 5 books for 5E? I mean, sure WotC dont have to do anything, but I think they could tweak the formula and make a lot of fans happy. Also, save book shelves all around the world from the weight of DMGs that never get picked up.

Snarf Zagyg

Aren't there only like 5 books for 5E? I mean, sure WotC dont have to do anything, but I think they could tweak the formula and make a lot of fans happy. Also, save book shelves all around the world from the weight of DMGs that never get picked up.

Well, Amazon ranks the top 100 "best sellers" for D&D. Right now, the first non-WoTC product is a gift calednar at #6, the first non-WOTC book is the GM's Book of Traps, Puzzles, and Dungeons (#8), and the first AP is DL at #11 (Spelljammer is #12, Saltmarsh is #21).

The DM's Guide is #3, ahead ofMoTM (#4), TCoE (#5), Essentials (#7), and the Core Gift Set (which ALSO has the DMG) at #9.

More importantly ... I did mention that it is regularly in the top 500 of OVERALL BOOKS? Like ... all of them? Currently it's #526.

This doesn't mean that they shouldn't re-think what's in it - after all, it doesn't matter because ... NO ONE READS IT! But giving up on these sales and branding? That would be kinda sorta rilly stoopid. IMO.

Remove ads