D&D (2024) What can WotC do in OneD&D to make the DM's Guide worth buying?

Clint_L

Hero
If they took magic items out of DMG completely and sold a fourth Book of Treasure...with lots more magic items, tables for generating unique magic items, expanded Artifact and Sentient Weapon information, rules or at least guidelines for crafting magic items (and harvesting components from dead monsters?), etc...who would buy it?

I would.
Me too. Instead of the DM's Guide. In fact, Traps and Treasures was one of the OD&D books, before there was a DM's Guide.

Clint_L

Hero
Maybe I'm one of the few people who DON'T want the DMG to have this whole big section on "How To DM". Because quite frankly... learning how to DM and what to focus on while DMing is such a personal and personal preference kind of thing that I in no way wish to see a single way proscribed as "here's the way to do it."

I've read how a lot of you people run your games here on EN World and know for a fact I would NEVER want to play in a lot of your games, LOL! If the DMG was then giving us instructions on how to DM in the styles that some of you DM? That would be horrible for someone like me! The last thing I want is for more people to think that your ways of DMing are the "proper" ways to do so, heh heh! We've already got worshippers at the altars of The Alexandrian and the Angry DM... to have any one of their styles of DMing possibly become the "instructions" of how to do it in the DMG? No thank you! :)

And by the same token... if the DMG was to be all about MY methods (and folks like Matt Mercer, Matt Colville and the like) of narrative and story and throwing out the "board game rules" of D&D combat and mechanics even more than it does already (with the 'Rulings, Not Rules' mantra)... I think a whole crap-ton of you folks would absolutely FREAK. You wouldn't want new players to learn to treat the game in my way either, because that would basically stomp out your preferred ways of playing the game over time too, players thinking your ways are "wrong" because those aren't what the DMG has taught them.

Learning to DM well is a personal thing that you only get better at and figure out your particular preferences as you do it. Thus I am wholeheartedly in favor of what we have... which is the Starter Set (of whatever type it is) showing players the very generic and baseline instruction of what the DM needs to do to run the game... but any additional instruction on "how to do it" should be left to the DM's own devices, or websites, or YouTube videos, or whatever. Let the DM who wants more info go out searching for it on their own... rather than proscribe a single way to do it in the Dungeon Master's Guide.
When I wrote about it being more a Guide for DMs, this is basically what I had in mind for the first half of the book - like the Starter Set ("Phandelver," in particular), but with even more options. Couldn't agree more about not trying to dictate the style of the DM, and just trying to focus on the mechanics of how the game works.

I think it would be pretty cool if an eager young DM picked up a copy of the DMG and went home with a bunch of little ready to play adventures in their pocket so they and their group could start trying out the game right away...and then towards the back of the book could discover ever more advanced options to tease their appetites.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
If they took magic items out of DMG completely and sold a fourth Book of Treasure...with lots more magic items, tables for generating unique magic items, expanded Artifact and Sentient Weapon information, rules or at least guidelines for crafting magic items (and harvesting components from dead monsters?), etc...who would buy it?

I would.
Ya, that's what I was trying to say above.....I think this book is more likely to sell to existing DMs than ANOTHER DMG for a game that is supposedly not changing much.....

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I kinda wish that was a thing, but it's really hard to do for so many different types of items.

There are a lot of game rules in the DMG, they're just hidden due to the poor organization. You can run the game "fine" without them, but you force the DM to make up those rules. Examples include item AC & HP, social interactions, secret doors, etc.
It wouldn't be that tough. Since the GM is choosing them rather than players general lists like weapon curses armor curses & misc equipment curses can be made up for the gm to pick from. Maybe this item gets a curse that presents a meaningful drawback to users of that item but that item gets a curse that makes the group not just give it to the hyperoptimized PC who needs more optimization least. They don't even need cost offsets they provide if the section includes good guidance on why a hm might want to attach curses & the kinds of impacts they impose so the gm can make good judgements in their use before learning from trial & error..

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
3E DMG II and PF1 Gamemastery guides are my favorites. I often go to the DMG looking for what those supplements provide.

I'd say focus on advanced topics like rules explanation, techniques, and how to make/run campaigns. Leave being a GM 101 to intro products and online resources. YMMV.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'm beginning to move to the idea that there should be a beginner DMG, that is much shorter (and much longer than the starter sets), and that most of that should be outside the "advanced DMG." Of course, that gives them more products to sell, which might be good or bad....but it goes with my thought that magic items and foraging and stuff should be in a different book (which would sell, no problem).

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a starter DMG and advanced DMG (which, ya, I already said that, but I like it even more as I type it out).

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I disagree with the implication that "the DMG isn't worth buying." I use mine all the time. Just the other day I was digging through the Optional Rules and Variants section (looking for ways to balance a house-rule, ended up going with Renown). And this morning, I used the magic item tables to roll up two treasure hoards, then looked up the rules for green slime and yellow mold.

I'd use it more, however, if it had more tables, more optional rules, and a better index. But I'd say it gets about as much use as my Monster Manual.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I disagree with the implication that "the DMG isn't worth buying." I use mine all the time. Just the other day I was digging through the Optional Rules and Variants section (looking for ways to balance a house-rule, ended up going with Renown). And this morning, I used the magic item tables to roll up two treasure hoards, then looked up the rules for green slime and yellow mold.

I'd use it more, however, if it had more tables, more optional rules, and a better index. But I'd say it gets about as much use as my Monster Manual.
If the new edition isn't changing much, what would make you buy the next DMG?

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I got off on a tangent and wasn't very clear...sorry about that. I meant to say, I would buy the next DMG if it had more tables, more optional rules, and a better index.
Darn tootin' on the index. WotC should be embarrassed at the quality of that in their rulebooks.

I wonder how much they want to pass to DnDbeyond? Like, articles on how to track initiative....should that be in the DMG, or online? It is a lot easier to show those online than take up space in a book.

Remove ads