D&D (2024) What can WotC do in OneD&D to make the DM's Guide worth buying?

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
What's odd about that is that they only seem to be anti-PDF for the current edition - obviously, there are vast numbers of PDFs of old edition materials on DM's Guild.

Certainly (from my point of view at least) if they were to release the 2024 version in PDF format, that would be a very pleasant surprise.
Well Yeah, they were really strongly anti pdf since 4e, but I really cannot remember their attitude in the 3.x era.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
What's odd about that is that they only seem to be anti-PDF for the current edition - obviously, there are vast numbers of PDFs of old edition materials on DM's Guild.

Certainly (from my point of view at least) if they were to release the 2024 version in PDF format, that would be a very pleasant surprise.
So...we should expect PDFs of the 2014 rulebooks to be available in 2024?

gametaku

Explorer
From the various discussion online the DM's Guide should incorporate all the player options. The players guide should just be instructions on how to be a good player. Instead of players making whatever character they want instead they would pick from the options that the DM provides.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
From the various discussion online the DM's Guide should incorporate all the player options. The players guide should just be instructions on how to be a good player. Instead of players making whatever character they want instead they would pick from the options that the DM provides.
I hope they don't do this. I appreciate that's what you want, but I want the player information in the player book.

gametaku

Explorer
I hope they don't do this. I appreciate that's what you want, but I want the player information in the player book.
I didn't' say what I wanted, just that through various online discussions that there seems to be a preference by DM's in giving the players only the options that they provide.

gametaku

Explorer
Ugh. I hate that. For me as a DM, a lot of the fun comes from the players bringing their own ideas.
But that's still allowed you would just give your players all the options, well DM's that want a restrictive set would just give their players only those options.

But that's still allowed you would just give your players all the options, well DM's that want a restrictive set would just give their players only those options.
i mean, then eventually the players will learn what all the options are (assuming they aren't already all online by then) and then this entire idea is utterly redundant. congratulations, you've "hidden" the player options from the players...because?

anyway, in my opinion the DMG should include some advice for new DMs, but should also serve to completely disassemble the system's core assumptions for them. why are classes constructed the way they are? how does the encounter math track with expected player stats? how are spells and equipment balanced? how are feat power levels estimated? what is the expected player wealth at various levels and what are they expected to buy with it? do these things change depending on how low or high magic the setting you're using is? etc.

in other words, the DMG should serve not just to teach new DMs how to DM, but to teach any DM how to run the system specifically by showing them why the system is built the way it is and thus how to best use (and change/add onto if need be) it.
What would be useful would be a model form for players to fill out on their preferences and expectations for a D&D campaign followed by a series of suggestions about how to create a campaign that will align with players' preferences and expectations. Perhaps going further in depth with a complete example of campaign creation and play.

A new DMG MUST include lots of advice for online play. I only play in person these days, but even I recognize online play is a major segment, if not majority, of D&D play these days.
this would also be pretty welcome

Remove ads