D&D 5E What changes or retcons would you approve in a reboot?

You know in the last years the reboots or remake of famous franchises are very usual, specially with action-live productions where actors have aged too much, or to gather the original group isn't so easy.

My opinion is WotC is planning a metaplot about a future event, and this may be linked with a reboot of all the D&D worlds.

What do you think? I understand the reason, because if WotC wants to add a lot of new things, for example base classes, PC races and monsters, it's harder to explain how to use them in previous setting, for example minotaurs, tieflings and dragonborns in Dark Sun. Should the reboot to have any limit? What if in Dragonlance the order of the seekers could use psionic powers? Or adding arms to the nagas.

Zardnaar

Legend
Main thing is I think is be faithful to the original settings themes.

Art for example is an easy fix we don't really need cheesecake art anymore and it's kinda boring anyway.

Slavery for example is a big part of Darksun, I wouldn't remove it because it's kind of a big part of the setting. Don't glorify it though but they never really did that either in old Darksun.

Anyone actually using the new setting like Ravnica? They seem to sell alright but idk how many actually run them for long.

Last edited:

About Dark Sun I would add people with darker skin in the art, because we know it's a very hot weather. I also would allow no-core classes as the warden, the seeker, the psionic ardent, the totemist shaman or the martial adepts, or sorcerers with primal magic instead arcana.

Zardnaar

Legend
About Dark Sun I would add people with darker skin in the art, because we know it's a very hot weather. I also would allow no-core classes as the warden, the seeker, the psionic ardent, the totemist shaman or the martial adepts, or sorcerers with primal magic instead arcana.

They kinda did that back in the day. Lots if tans and 4E did a reasonable job with the art I'll give it that.

4th was not my cup of tea. I bought nothing, but some base classes and PCs could be updated. I like the idea of primal and divine as two different power sources, like ki and psionic.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I kind of wish we could leave the FR behind and have WotC create a fresh new adventuring world full of new things to explore and encounter. So "reboot" should really be "fresh start".

I never played the video games or read the books or really played the game before 5e so I have no nostalgic attachment to the FR. To me it's just a huge dead weight hanging around the neck of the game!

Definitely a minority opinion I'm sure. :)

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I am not sure if D&D setting really need reboots in any real sense. Rebooting a setting makes sense where the consumers of setting are consumers of an increasing complex lore. At that time sales of new stories in the setting are being inhibited by the amount of back story needed to understand the current offering.

In general in D&D players interaction with a setting is mediated by the DM who, in effect, reboots the setting every time they start a new campaign. video games in a D&D setting tend to be lore light, aside from what ever they need for the current storyline and i have never come across a D&D video game related storyline have some many modules where world building becomes an issue.

Now, if any D&D setting becomes the centre of a TV and movie franchise then this may become a concern in 10 or 15 years time.

aco175

Legend
Is a reboot possible in today's political climate? Hasbro is not going back to orcs and drow are evil, so a reboot trying to keep gronards happy and keep new players coming seems impossible. And, wasn't 5e a 'reboot' to sweep away 4e and try to cash in like 3e was.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases