D&D 5E What changes or retcons would you approve in a reboot?

Oofta

Legend
I kind of wish we could leave the FR behind and have WotC create a fresh new adventuring world full of new things to explore and encounter. So "reboot" should really be "fresh start".

I never played the video games or read the books or really played the game before 5e so I have no nostalgic attachment to the FR. To me it's just a huge dead weight hanging around the neck of the game!

Definitely a minority opinion I'm sure. :)

Well, we do have a couple of new campaign settings with the MtG crossovers and Wildermount. Since I run a home campaign in my own world and only purchase mods here and there to mine for ideas it doesn't matter much to me.

But putting FR on the shelf for a few years wouldn't be the worst idea IMHO. Maybe come up with something new that doesn't have all the baggage? But to me a reboot would be simply resetting FR altogether, coming up with a clean history with the same themes and ideas but perhaps a more logical structure.

Well, that, and I think the real question is more fundamental. Can we use the same magic to reboot 2020?

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Well, we do have a couple of new campaign settings with the MtG crossovers and Wildermount. Since I run a home campaign in my own world and only purchase mods here and there to mine for ideas it doesn't matter much to me.
Yeah - that window is closing for me to as I start to branch out into making the game my own rather than rely on WotC to world build for me. And even if they did start over they'd probably not produce something to my taste.

Having said that I'm quite intrigued by the new Theria setting, does anyone here have anything nice to say about it?

jgsugden

Legend
My opinion: They'll end 5E with a giant plot that resets the Forgotten Realms - back where it started. Original Grey Box setting - so that 6E, when it gets here in 3, 5 or 10 years will be ready to go without so much lore baggage.

Dausuul

Legend
I kind of wish we could leave the FR behind and have WotC create a fresh new adventuring world full of new things to explore and encounter. So "reboot" should really be "fresh start".

I never played the video games or read the books or really played the game before 5e so I have no nostalgic attachment to the FR. To me it's just a huge dead weight hanging around the neck of the game!

Definitely a minority opinion I'm sure. :)
Perhaps a minority opinion, but you certainly aren't the only one to hold it.

Reminds me of why I gave up on FR a long time ago. Too many world-changing events. But I suppose it could also just be an excuse to launch a new campaign? Who knows.

On the other hand if you could reset things so Drizzt never existed. Hmm. :unsure:

It's not just the constant world-changing events. It's that nothing truly interesting seems to happen except for the world changing events. It's like repeatedly and messily using time travel to reset the Titanic to Queenstown only to do little more than exchange the deck chairs before leaving port on the exact same voyage. I'm not really going to listen if they come out and say, "Hey, we want another crack at the Hindenburg, too! And Chernobyl! Everyone back into the time pod!"

GreenTengu

Adventurer
I would prefer to see a new game world that starts small and centralized and slowly expands out rather than trying to reboot one that has decades of history and has more or less been "solved" by heroes of some old novel series.

New start, new beginning, new opportunities.

But-- I suppose there is quite a lot of stock in the old settings.

I feel like the first change I would make in any existing world, it would be to change the Dragonmark Houses in Eberron. That the 3rd Edition races, including the house races, are the only races in the world to have exclusive Dragonmarks to them just seems quite silly. If there even are going to be a set number of special Dragonmark houses, they should not align to the PC races, but align to the races that control the most in that setting... And Half-races should absolutely not be among them. The idea that there would be a stable society that is half one race and half another really defeats the whole concept of the half-race in the first place.

EscherEnigma

Adventurer
The only setting that WotC has published where they've bothered with keeping a metaplot going is Forgotten Realms. All the others they've shrugged and said "don't worry about it".

And Forgotten Realms has a pretty stable tradition for explaining new stuff in a new edition: they have a whacky magical apocalypse and when they came out the other side, stuff was different.

None of the other settings (in the WotC-era) do that. The closest you get is how they ignored the meta-plot and "canon" of the Dark Sun stuff to give the 4e setting a nice clean start point. If they update it to 5e I imagine they'll do the same, just as with Eberron they haven't bothered with meta-plots or canon.

Heck, their newest settings? Don't have a timeline at all. If you read the Theros book there were some mentions of the events in the books, but they never gave a year for the setting, they give no firm timelines... the setting, as published, doesn't expect that you're keeping up on your favorite characters from the books. I haven't looked at Ravnica yet, but I imagine it's the same.

So... yeah. I think you're offering a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. The only currently published settings that have "canon" are Forgotten Realms (which has a tradition for how they handle new editions) and possibly Wildemount. I don't know, if they ever update that to a hypothetical 6th edition will probably depend on if Critical Role is still popular. But if they do, it would be based on Mercer's campaign, and not some worlds-spanning meta plot.

I guess the metaplot of the D&D worlds will start to continue when Hasbro was making money with the media productions and videogames, but that phase hasn't arrived yet. Now Hasbro can hire better scripters and writers for their franchises, but maybe these with new ideas could demand a reboot.

Sometimes I imagine Nentir Vale as a new transition setting, with (hidden) planar gates to other worlds.

Theros had got its own plot and some "big fishes" have fallen.

My suggestion for Ravenloft is the core lands to be bigger, because if the demiplane has got too many manhunter monsters then it would be like a ecosystem collapsing by fault or too many predators and not enough preys.

In a way Gary Gygax's gord the rogue novels ended with a reboot

In my opinion the 6th Ed will be in 2030, after learning with videogames and testing new ideas.

My question is about what do you think with the limits of the changes in the background or metaplot. What changes wouldn't you accept noway?

And what do you think about DM Guild allowing sourcebooks about alternate timelines, uchronies or parallel universes, like the time-spheres from AD&D Chronomancers? Let's imagine a dragonlance fan publishing a webcomic with a different plot.

Shiroiken

Legend
The only setting that WotC has published where they've bothered with keeping a metaplot going is Forgotten Realms. All the others they've shrugged and said "don't worry about it".

And Forgotten Realms has a pretty stable tradition for explaining new stuff in a new edition: they have a whacky magical apocalypse and when they came out the other side, stuff was different.
FR was the original meta-setting with constant updates, since the novels were generally also considered part of the lore. Dragonlance didn't even become a setting until after all three novels were published IIRC. Greyhawk only updated when new modules (adventures) came out that referenced each other, which was rare. Later TSR tried to make every setting like FR, which turned out to be a disaster for pretty much everyone. Rebooting any of those is not only reasonable, but probably helpful (4E did this with Dark Sun, which was a massive improvement).

FR is the only one I could see needing a "reboot," as there is a crapload of lore, much of which is still technically relevant. Nothing is more annoying to a DM than a player who knows the setting better than you, and FR is pretty much the only setting where I've seen this happen (did it once in Rokugan during 3E). The question becomes how much reboot is enough. Going back before the spellplague is a definite, since a majority of FR fans hated it. Personally I'd like it to go back to before the Time of Troubles, because that was the height of interesting NPCs and places.

Remove ads