D&D 5E [+]What Characters Are You Excited to Build?

Rocker26a

Explorer
Sure, I get that. I have a rogue that is like that. People are convinced his stealth is supernatural but it’s literally just how good he is at it.
But I think 5e just isn’t that game that models in-between stuff like an ability that is similar to a spell but isn’t magical very well. Could be I’m wrong of course.

Yeeaah, probably not. I think it feasibly could, it just. Doesn't ever.

It should have been, for sure.

I’d settle for song spells that are only on the bard list, since the balance and such for spells is well understood and it wouldn’t really change the effects, but I’d rather have the Bard get something like the weird half-casting of the much maligned warlock UA, complete with replacing magical secrets with that version of mystic arcanum, maybe even on a short rest recharge. Just more limited Spellcasting to make room for actual Bard class features.

I dunno, I don't think there's anything outright wrong with that sort of idea, but you are somewhat asking for straightforward full caster casting to be less ubiquitous and strong. Which, we can all dream, but!
There's not much getting around it, the community is unlikely to go for anything that touches Magical Secrets. That is the thing the community likes about Bard. Hence Lore being the other big subclass.

While the revised Ranger is great and I wish they’d have used some of it again in this playtest, I’m referring to UA6, they just call it Deft Explorer for whatever reason.

Ohhh, right right. Duh. Should've figured.
I find UA 6 Deft Explorer to be waaay too slight a bonus personally. One singular Expertise, advantage on Nature checks about a certain terrain, and Survival checks to track in a certain terrain. Also does that thing of "you do not have to adhere to your character's backstory, you can switch to a new terrain you've never set foot in". I honestly feel like just adding the actual Expertise feature to the Ranger's levelling table might've been a simpler and better way round it.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yeeaah, probably not. I think it feasibly could, it just. Doesn't ever.
Yeah. I definitely think it won’t officially, but 3pp might.
I dunno, I don't think there's anything outright wrong with that sort of idea, but you are somewhat asking for straightforward full caster casting to be less ubiquitous and strong. Which, we can all dream, but!
There's not much getting around it, the community is unlikely to go for anything that touches Magical Secrets. That is the thing the community likes about Bard. Hence Lore being the other big subclass.
Yeah that’s the issue with stuff that is potent while doing the thing it is made for poorly. It’s hard to get it fixed.
Ohhh, right right. Duh. Should've figured.
I find UA 6 Deft Explorer to be waaay too slight a bonus personally. One singular Expertise, advantage on Nature checks about a certain terrain, and Survival checks to track in a certain terrain. Also does that thing of "you do not have to adhere to your character's backstory, you can switch to a new terrain you've never set foot in". I honestly feel like just adding the actual Expertise feature to the Ranger's levelling table might've been a simpler and better way round it.
I disagree, I think it would be a massive failure to publish the Ranger with no wilderness/nature specific features, especially at lower levels. Add Expertise doesn’t fix the issue, and I’ll note that the UA6 change notes for Ranger specify that playtesters requested some specific nature based feature, and that’s why they added it.

Rocker26a

Explorer
I disagree, I think it would be a massive failure to publish the Ranger with no wilderness/nature specific features, especially at lower levels. Add Expertise doesn’t fix the issue, and I’ll note that the UA6 change notes for Ranger specify that playtesters requested some specific nature based feature, and that’s why they added it.

Lemme rephrase; I would advocate for Expertise alongside some specific nature-y abilities. Climbing and swimming, setting up ambushes in the canopy, communicating with the beasts etc. Let 'em have Expertise and abilities that reside outside of skill checks. Similar to what Revised Ranger had, but with some more fine tuning.
I think Expertise is good and suits Ranger, but I don't think that should be their only answer to nature-y situations. (that having been said, that not Favoured Terrain thing from UA 6 Deft Explorer is just worse Expertise in Nature to me. Collectively, it's a worse version of Survivalist from Scout Rogue.)

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Lemme rephrase; I would advocate for Expertise alongside some specific nature-y abilities. Climbing and swimming, setting up ambushes in the canopy, communicating with the beasts etc. Let 'em have Expertise and abilities that reside outside of skill checks. Similar to what Revised Ranger had, but with some more fine tuning.
Sure. I agree with that.
I think Expertise is good and suits Ranger, but I don't think that should be their only answer to nature-y situations. (that having been said, that not Favoured Terrain thing from UA 6 Deft Explorer is just worse Expertise in Nature to me. Collectively, it's a worse version of Survivalist from Scout Rogue.)
Okay. I just disagree here, but I can see where you’re coming from. While I agree that they didn’t need to take one of the Ranger’s expertises away to add the terrain stuff, I don’t want a ton more stuff that is outside of skills.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
The monk in UA9 got over 90% approval, so they’re likely to try to make as few changes to it as possible between that UA and the final publication. It’s pretty great, you should give it a look.
I guess I'm not super interested in the previews and the maybes which is why I haven't really engaged with the playtests
I promise* I won't complain when the stuff actually gets released into the world officially

*ignore those fingers crossed behind my back

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I guess I'm not super interested in the previews and the maybes which is why I haven't really engaged with the playtests
I promise* I won't complain when the stuff actually gets released into the world officially

*ignore those fingers crossed behind my back
Fair enough

Remove ads