D&D 5E [+]What Characters Are You Excited to Build?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
No idea what the changes are or will see print.

I like the existing open hand monk more than most and they rock in BG3 so it wins by default.
The UAs are free, if you want to look. The most recent ones are probably not exactly what will make it to print, but they’re likely pretty close.

Zardnaar

Legend
The UAs are free, if you want to look. The most recent ones are probably not exactly what will make it to print, but they’re likely pretty close.

It's time vs effort vs care factor.

Monk honestly doesn't need much at least open hand.

Sone of the others though.......

Amazing in BG3

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I might be blind, but I can't seem to see a more recent update that changes that. I will take your word for it though.
Gotta watch the videos for that one. They talked about it while discussing going back to class spell lists.
But even still, it shouldn't have made it to playtest at all in my opinion. If they wanted those spells to be exclusive to Ranger, then they should. Do that. Not make them exclusive, and then also forced. Like, why? If they've been changed out since, that suggests to me that they were just placeholder features.
Thats a jump IMO. They were a feature that existed for a reason, which was obviated when they went back to class spell lists.

Zardnaar

Legend
Ha, well, the majority of folks surveyed seem to have disagreed with you. Monk has some BIG buffs coming down the pipeline.

I played it early on in 5E before power creep and had higher states and a decent magic shortsword.

It's not as bad as the internet believes even at level 1.

I think people expect to much from stunning strike. Targeting con saves isn't great in 5E. I just used FoB instead and knocked them prone.

Rolled states not default array. Rolled well and picked a Monk.

Mostly because other players didn't understand the class. Wife point blank refused to play one until BG3.

They also come online later kinda similar to the fighter eg level 11-14.

Default array probably pass.

Rocker26a

Explorer
Gotta watch the videos for that one. They talked about it while discussing going back to class spell lists.

Ahhh, okay. That'd explain it. Don't generally watch those. Prefer reading the released material myself.

Thats a jump IMO. They were a feature that existed for a reason, which was obviated when they went back to class spell lists.

Quite possibly! Either way, it's just lame to me.

I still think Ranger should be mechanically on par with Paladin (if nothing else), and until it is, it'll always be a little underwhelming.

Zardnaar

Legend
Ahhh, okay. That'd explain it. Don't generally watch those. Prefer reading the released material myself.

I still think Ranger should be mechanically on par with Paladin (if nothing else), and until it is, it'll always be a little underwhelming.

Something like a tuned up hunter is probably best bet for default Ranger.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The videos give a huge amount of context and additional info on the UA documents.

I am all for the Ranger having a different focus from the Paladin and as a result not being quite as potent in combat. I prefer them as more half-caster expert class rather than as skillful warrior class.

Remove ads