• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) What class are YOU most excited to play?

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
And you still get feats every four levels, as per o5e? Or is it more or less often now?
It's the same as O5e in that regard; ASI or feat at levels 4, 8, 12, 16, and 19 of your base class. Still based on individual class levels, not total character level, etc. Remember, one of the big parameters is backwards compatibility. Making extensive changes to how that works would have broken it.

Timespike

To get back to the original point of this thread: you know what else I'm really looking forward to? The new cleric. The social pillar stuff and new defensive options in particular have opened that class way up for a lot more different character concepts. In addition to the standard armored fantasy priest who is good at fighting undead, it's very possible to play someone like an Old Testament prophet or a tribal shaman with it, too, and the stuff on your character sheet will fit your concept.

And since I play a lot of clerics, that has me very excited.

Faolyn

(she/her)
It's the same as O5e in that regard; ASI or feat at levels 4, 8, 12, 16, and 19 of your base class. Still based on individual class levels, not total character level, etc. Remember, one of the big parameters is backwards compatibility. Making extensive changes to how that works would have broken it.
I wanted to make sure because at one point Morrus was referring to strongholds as a feat, or possibly that if you built a stronghold, you got a feat. I never quite understood it, and it's entirely possible I misunderstood what he said (I think this was when the Warlord was being previewed). Or perhaps at that time you were thinking about strongholds as feats but decided against it, seeing how the strongholds preview doesn't use the term. And since feats as an alternative to ASIs weren't listed in the playtests, I got confused and thought they'd be given out a different rate. So, thanks for clearing it up!

But hmm, if there are feat chains--I think it was suggested that they'd be three feats long?--and those "multiclass" feats require you to be at minimum 6th level, you're not going to be able to get all three until 16th level, if you only take feats and no ASIs. Looking forward to checking them out and see how they stack up to ASIs.

Timespike

I wanted to make sure because at one point Morrus was referring to strongholds as a feat, or possibly that if you built a stronghold, you got a feat. I never quite understood it, and it's entirely possible I misunderstood what he said (I think this was when the Warlord was being previewed). Or perhaps at that time you were thinking about strongholds as feats but decided against it, seeing how the strongholds preview doesn't use the term. And since feats as an alternative to ASIs weren't listed in the playtests, I got confused and thought they'd be given out a different rate. So, thanks for clearing it up!

But hmm, if there are feat chains--I think it was suggested that they'd be three feats long?--and those "multiclass" feats require you to be at minimum 6th level, you're not going to be able to get all three until 16th level, if you only take feats and no ASIs. Looking forward to checking them out and see how they stack up to ASIs.
While I'll leave a lot of this post for Morrus to address with previews as the campaign goes on (like Mike said, we're no longer under NDA, but we don't want to seal too much thunder, either), I can tell you that your math is a little bit off unless you insist on a 50/50 spread of class levels. With 4 levels in one class and 8 in another, you could pick up all three feats from a chain at level 12.

As a side note, I can also tell you this: when I was doing the Multiclass Feats article for En5ider and later the self-published PDF product of the same name, the reason I made three levels of each class a prerequisite for them was that'd force you to have picked both subclasses before you snagged a feat allowing your classes to inter-operate. That both turns down a bit of cheese and also forces you to have a bit more of a fleshed-out concept for your multiclass build.

Stalker0

Legend

The stronghold feats appear to be "free", ie they don't take up your feat slots. You just get them when you own the proper stronghold.

Remove ads