• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Classes/Roles Are Revealed So Far?

Nahat Anoj

First Post
Irda Ranger said:
That's news to me. Any source handy?
It's in Races & Classes. I don't have the book handy right now, so I can't give you an exact page number, but it's in the little blurb for the Barbarian class I believe.

Sol.Dragonheart

First Post
Well, I suppose as the time passes we will have a clearer picture of how essential the differing roles will actually be. Perhaps as much as the classic four in 3E, perhaps not. I would think that if all four roles are needed on such a level, an additional class will be available for those seeking to fulfill the Controller section of the party on release.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
Sol.Dragonheart said:
I would think that if all four roles are needed on such a level, an additional class will be available for those seeking to fulfill the Controller section of the party on release.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to figure out. Either controllers aren't that vital, or WotC has another core class up their sleeve... OR they really expect every single party to have at least one wizard, which I think would be kind of dumb.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The Races & Classes book says "We've also tied barbarians and druids closer together, creating a relationship between them similar to the link between paladins and clerics."

This in no ways implies that they would have the same ROLES. Perhaps Mike Mearls is refering to the fact that they both use the Primal source, or that their fluff connects them.

He also goes on to say "We also wanted the barbarian to be more than a fighter who rages" which COULD mean that a barbarian would suit another role better (like the striker).

The book also says that druids will be less spellcasters and more shapeshifters, which MIGHT not make them leaders.

While I'm not saying I know for sure I'm right, (far from it!) I think it's a bit overstating your omniscience to be so sure I'm wrong, Lackhand.

Fitz

nem z

First Post
My guesses:

power sources
the world = martial
astral sea = divine
elemental chaos = arcane
feywild = primal
shadowfell = (shadow)
(far realm) = psi

class roles
monk = martial controller

favored soul = divine striker

swordmage = arcane defender
sorcerer = arcane leader

bard = primal leader
druid = primal defender
barbarian = primal striker
geomancer = primal controller

psionicist = psi controller
psionic warrior = psi defender
soulknife = psi striker
wilder = psi leader

lbporter

First Post
As far as the psionic power source classes go my thoughts are

defender - Psi warrior
striker - soulknife
leader - telepath
controler - kineticist

I dont see why they need to keep the overly broad 'psion' as one class if they are going to break up the 3.x wizard into wizard, necromancer, illusionist, ect.

just my $.02

Luke

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads