WotC What classic setting SHOULD WotC publish and why?

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
It's not three this year. It's three by the end of 2022.
Forgive me, my sense of time is screwed up enough that 2000 still feels like a couple years ago. >.>
With a name taken from Dragonlance. The other names were dragons--and a dragon god--from the Realms.
Yup. I even specifically called out Raurthym's Psionic Lance in the post you quoted. I've noted that maybe it will just be a big ol' book on Dragons. I still think it's got a strong chance 'cause of the other cited information.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Forgive me, my sense of time is screwed up enough that 2000 still feels like a couple years ago. >.>

Yup. I even specifically called out Raurthym's Psionic Lance in the post you quoted. I've noted that maybe it will just be a big ol' book on Dragons. I still think it's got a strong chance 'cause of the other cited information.
2000 was when I was very young indeed also about the time my dad stoped playing d&d.

Steampunkette

Supporter
2000 was when I was very young indeed also about the time my dad stoped playing d&d.
... you wound me to my very core, youngling! (Kidding)
One name. And a bunch of Forgotten Realms names. And gem dragons. And kobolds.

It's not a Dragonlance product.
Could you maybe just, I dunno... multiquote into a single post? It's easy. You hit the "+Quote" button beside each post you'd like to quote, then hit the "Insert Quotes" button and then they're all in one post.

That way it only shows a single notification and doesn't scroll the thread so much.

And yeah. I get your position. You don't think there's -any- chance it'll be related to Dragonlance. Cooool. No need to be rude about it.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Mush as I'd love a dragonlance book, looking at the recent draconic options doesn't scream dragonlance to me. The dragon subclasses and races seem to have little to do with the setting.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
If they were planning a Dragonlance book, don't you think they would save a Dragonlance spell for the Dragonlance book? Dragonlance material appearing in other books actually diminishes the chances of seeing a Dragonlance book any time soon, IMO.

Sithlord

Adventurer
I want to see them do Planescape, but I nervous about the art. Tony DiTerlizzi's art helped define the feel of that setting (for me at least). If they publish a 5e version, I doubt they would get him to do the art, and that's just going to be weird to me.
This is the one setting I love and home brewed to
Death. I dropped the art (love tony”s art but it didn’t fit my homebrew). Basically kept the factions and portals and NPC’s and made it a techno/modern setting spanning the planes. They had technology drawn from all over the planes from a trillion times a trillion worlds in a trillion times a trillion alternative material planes. Sliders also where u could meet yourself from an alternate timeline or parallel universe. And sigil was the center of knowledges and tech and magic for a price. A lost tony stark from earth 8A213z2 ran a mechanic shop fixing broken hover crafts trying to find a doorway home. But that was me and alot of homebrewing.

Steampunkette

Supporter
Mush as I'd love a dragonlance book, looking at the recent draconic options doesn't scream dragonlance to me. The dragon subclasses and races seem to have little to do with the setting.
They don't -explicitly- scream "Dragonlance" to me, either... But.

If you had to release a Dragonlance Book and had an edict from on high to make Dragonborn more "Dragonlance Friendly" (Since they're a core race and must therefore be available in all settings) wouldn't you take the same steps as those presented in the UA?

No other setting is quite -as- reliant on creating a significant difference between Chromatic and Metallic Dragonborn, after all. Forgotten Realms made them all kind of Dingy brown, Rust colored, or vaguely dark rather than giving them a specific ancestry. Greyhawk could have them in a similar style. Birthright probably wouldn't care, and in Dark Sun Dragonborn would be, like, twisted children of Sorcerer-Kings trying to become dragons themselves.

But Dragonlance is centered around the dragons being opposed to each other as an explicit thing. The whole War of the Lance and all is fought on the back of specifically colored dragons based on whose side you're on. Takhisis and Paladine are really quite explicit in their connections to the dragons for a reason, after all.

Having them look like Metallic or Chromatic dragons would also help to make them visually distinct from the different Draconians, which are of course a different thing.

The Gem Dragon and Kobold changes are just kind of... "There", and there's FR-Specific spells, too.

But with Fizban and the Metallic/Chromatic split... I feel like there's still a chance. Not a certainty, by any means. But I feel like it's definitely a contender.

If they were planning a Dragonlance book, don't you think they would save a Dragonlance spell for the Dragonlance book? Dragonlance material appearing in other books actually diminishes the chances of seeing a Dragonlance book any time soon, IMO.
1) They haven't released a book, yet.
2) Maybe, sure.

Remove ads