WotC What classic setting SHOULD WotC publish and why?

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I think my issue with Spelljammer is just that I don’t like the phlogiston and crystal spheres and the whole cosmology. I want the material plane and it’s space to be space like Star Wars with even more fantasy.

Idont want to visit Krynnspace, I wish the whole idea of Krynn being part of the same world as FR and thus forcing Eberron in there too would die and never return, but if I can’t have that I’ll settle for a setting that is more treasure planet and less...well, less spelljammer.
honestly same it is both super odd and way too high concept for a game setting without media backing it up.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I think my issue with Spelljammer is just that I don’t like the phlogiston and crystal spheres and the whole cosmology. I want the material plane and it’s space to be space like Star Wars with even more fantasy.
I happen to like the phlogiston and spheres--they have the effect of making star systems a lot closer to each other than they realistically would be, meaning you don't have to worry about FTL travel--but I can see not including them in a future version.

Mind of tempest

The two settings that should be released before the end of the year are Dark Sun and Spelljammer.

We're -probably- getting Dragonlance, though, much to my chagrin.

Ravenloft is an amazing campaign setting because it plays with Fantasy in a -different- way. Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Greyhawk, Birthright. All of them use a Fantasy Setting with High Fantasy Tropes and High Fantasy Action. Though, I'll admit, at least Eberron aims for something wholly different in it's Magepunk Fantasy.

But Athas? It's as different from Faerun, Oerth, and Krynn as Ravenloft is! A whole setting where Arcane Magic is wicked and dangerous, where high fantasy steps aside in favor of Mad Max Postapocalyptica and Sword and Sorcery styles. It would be -vastly- different, and thus provide younger players (Over 50% of D&D's players are under 30) with a whole slew of new experiences and ideas for their games.

Spelljammer, similarly, would provide sooooo much new material, new ways to use old material, and new ways to use -new- Material that is on it's way. Yes, Planescape would allow for a similar flexibility, but just slap Sigil in the center of the Multiverse as a port of call for the Spelljammer characters and go off. Especially since it would add a whole heck of a lot of vehicular systems and a "Space Pirate" flair to the Astral Sea.

Sadly, I think we're getting Krynn because Weiss and Hickman had a serious problem with WotC last year. Which means either Dark Sun or Spelljammer is going to hit the wayside.
I say the problem is more likely to end up with no dragon lance setting books by wotc.
I happen to like the phlogiston and spheres--they have the effect of making star systems a lot closer to each other than they realistically would be, meaning you don't have to worry about FTL travel--but I can see not including them in a future version.
honestly, I can respect that and your logic for settings makes sense.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I say the problem is more likely to end up with no dragon lance setting books by wotc.
After the fallout was dealt with, WotC released an Unearthed Arcana focused on Draconic Options with spell names explicitly taken from Dragonlance. Fizban's Platinum Shield, for example.

The whole matter wound up settled out of court.

Mind of tempest

After the fallout was dealt with, WotC released an Unearthed Arcana focused on Draconic Options with spell names explicitly taken from Dragonlance. Fizban's Platinum Shield, for example.

The whole matter wound up settled out of court.
names mean little we are more likely to get a big monster book with Dragonborn lore which would really help them get player beyond look cooler than elves and dwarves.

they always need new dragon spells and it is an interesting spell.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
names mean little we are more likely to get a big monster book with Dragonborn lore which would really help them get player beyond look cooler than elves and dwarves.

they always need new dragon spells and it is an interesting spell.
... Meh.

Maybe it is just gonna be a big ol' book on Dragons and Dragonborn without any specific attachment to any setting. After all, there's also Raurthyrm's Psionic Lance for FR. But the Settlement -and- the specific character callout make me think there's going to be a bit more to it.

Plus with Wizards releasing three campaign settings this year, Ravenloft being pretty hefty, and the other two still unannounced I feel like a ton of their recent work has been going into these three Classic Settings. ALSO releasing the Dragonbook feels like it might be -too- ambitious.

Though they -did- release the Candlekeep Mysteries...

All in all, I feel like Dragonlance has a really strong shot. We haven't seen any UA that would connect to Spelljammer, Dark Sun, Planescape, Birthright, Etc since the announcement of the three settings. Only Dragonlance and Ravenloft.

Faolyn

(she/her)
With a name taken from Dragonlance. The other names were dragons--and a dragon god--from the Realms.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I mean, I love Spelljammers as much as the next fan of camp, but Dark Sun is the classic setting that's going to bring the most to the table, crunch-wise.

Also, I don't think Nentir Vale counts as classic, but I'd love a 5e setting guide set there, certainly long before more boring or one-note classics. Best D&D cosmology by far; and I say that as a hard-core Eberron fan.

Remove ads