Spelljammer What classic Spelljammer sources are worth getting?

Voadam

Legend
The core 2e Spelljammer box set lays things out well and evocatively. You get a sense of beholders and illithids, how lizardmen are a not uncommon spelljamming race, a bit about the elven orc unhuman war, a bunch of different core concept ships, etc. A lot of the supplements and adventures are nice but fairly self contained and not really necessary for general lore unless you want the specific subject (like individual planets in a specific setting).

I like the Monstrous Compendium Spelljammer Appendix 7 and the Second Spelljammer Monstrous Compendium Appendix MC 9 for a bunch of lore you can use wherever and some fun monster concepts.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Likely two reasons, to not make the groundlings look dumb and so they wouldn’t have to explain why the one Spelljammer culture hadn’t taken over the planet and the crystal sphere.
You credit TSR with more planning than I would. I figure they shifted approaches because someone decided it was easier/better/more fun/more interesting to have everyone know about spelljammers and they just shrugged and said "sure why not". Things seemed to be a lot looser in those days.

Remove ads