Spelljammer What classic Spelljammer sources are worth getting?

One thing to bring up is that they changed the relationship of Spelljamming civilization to groundling civilization in later products (at least The War Captain's Companion, I don't know which others).

The original box takes IMO the superior approach where Spelljamming is something groundlings mostly don't know about. For example, the Queen of Evermeet on Toril has a single advisor who is responsible for knowing about that sort of thing, and if I recall that's only one of their duties. You kind of get the idea that the queen herself barely knows anything about it other than there are elves on flying ships somewhere, and the advisor isn't exactly an expert. This is presented as an example of a civilization that actually has any idea Spelljamming exists, as opposed to most who have never heard if it. The Shou of Faerun have an actual small fleet of Spelljamming vessels, so they actually do have a presence, but that's an anomaly. And this is in a fairly heavy Spelljamming sphere.

By contrast, the War Captain's Companion has like every groundling nation knows about it and well-known metropolises are Spelljamming ports with repair facilities and such.

I have no idea why they retconned it. The first version, just like Planescape, allows you to add as little or as much as you like, while keeping the individual world settings distinct. The retconned version makes the entire AD&D line Spelljamming, and while I love Spelljammer, I don't like that. I prefer a default that people from various settings don't know Spelljamming and Sigil exist, and that the PCs are exceptions. More like Stargate SG-1.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
If you can find it: Shadow of the Spider Moon (Polyhedron) is an interesting 3e take on Spelljammer. the PDF exists on the internet, but I think it might be for sale on Drive-Thru.
I don't see it on DriveThru, but it looks like it might still be for sale at the Paizo store? paizo.com - Dungeon Issue #92 with Polyhedron #151

That surprises me - I didn't realize that Paizo still had their 3e Dungeon magazines for sale in PDF on their store.

Weiley31

Legend
The original box takes IMO the superior approach where Spelljamming is something groundlings mostly don't know about. For example, the Queen of Evermeet on Toril has a single advisor who is responsible for knowing about that sort of thing, and if I recall that's only one of their duties. You kind of get the idea that the queen herself barely knows anything about it other than there are elves on flying ships somewhere, and the advisor isn't exactly an expert. This is presented as an example of a civilization that actually has any idea Spelljamming exists, as opposed to most who have never heard if it. The Shou of Faerun have an actual small fleet of Spelljamming vessels, so they actually do have a presence, but that's an anomaly. And this is in a fairly heavy Spelljamming sphere.

Likely two reasons, to not make the groundlings look dumb and so they wouldn’t have to explain why the one Spelljammer culture hadn’t taken over the planet and the crystal sphere.
I low-key like the idea that out of everybody on Toril/Faerun, only the Elves of Evermeet probably know the existence of Spelljammers outright, compared to a majority of everybody else, outside of a few exceptions here and there such as Elminster, visiting Spelljammer crews and Gith. (A certain Mad Mage also knows, but is too busy getting his rocks off watching people get murdered in his deathtrap dungeon.)
I mean, Evermeet not only flickers in between the Material Plane and the Feywild (And Astral Elves are Feywild Elves who went to the stars), but the island's Naval forces is composed of Swan Ships, Dragon Ships and other things protecting it. Which are Spelljammer ships.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I low-key like the idea that out of everybody on Toril/Faerun, only the Elves of Evermeet probably know the existence of Spelljammers outright, compared to a majority of everybody else, outside of a few exceptions here and there such as Elminster, visiting Spelljammer crews and Gith. (A certain Mad Mage also knows, but is too busy getting his rocks off watching people get murdered in his deathtrap dungeon.)
I mean, Evermeet not only flickers in between the Material Plane and the Feywild (And Astral Elves are Feywild Elves who went to the stars), but the island's Naval forces is composed of Swan Ships, Dragon Ships and other things protecting it. Which are Spelljammer ships.
But next thing you know, Kara-Tur and the island of Wa are getting in on this too (with special ki Helms they developed). And Halruaa already had flying ships, so it's not a big stretch to say they had Spelljamming technology all along.

Not to mention ancient, advanced magical civilizations like Netheril. One thing about Spelljammer, it had history- all of these people flying about weren't exactly new. You could find ancient hulks, thousands of years old, because civilizations developing the ability to create Spelljamming ships, then fading away, was quite common in the setting.

Personally, I always wondered if Spelljammer would ever tackle the question of where the ship from Expedition to the Barrier Peaks came from...

I prefer a default that people from various settings don't know Spelljamming and Sigil exist, and that the PCs are exceptions. More like Stargate SG-1.
we can't tell the people there are werewolf armada's and mindflayers out there in empires... but a small 4-6 man team or two can go out, explore, and try to find weapons and allies...

wait SG1 WAS a D&D game...

Remove ads