D&D (2024) What could One D&D do to bring the game back to the dungeon?

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
But if most people are ignoring those rules . . . why does the game need to cater to the minority of people that do want the "back to the dungeon" playstyle?
I wasn't making an argument about what D&D should be, just what it could be. It's counter productive to argue about whether One D&D should embrace the dungeon. No one can answer that question. More interesting to me, and the point of the thread, is how could One D&D embrace the dungeon if WotC decided to make that a goal. All this arguing about whether we should embrace the dungeon is entirely beside point.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I wasn't making an argument about what D&D should be, just what it could be. It's counter productive to argue about whether One D&D should embrace the dungeon. No one can answer that question. More interesting to me, and the point of the thread, is how could One D&D embrace the dungeon if WotC decided to make that a goal. All this arguing about whether we should embrace the dungeon is entirely beside point.
But you were talking about what OneD&D could do to refocus the game towards that playstyle. It's implied that you think the game should do that. If your point was "how can I support focusing dungeon crawling in 5e more", you wouldn't have even mentioned OneD&D. Just ask for houserules to support your playstyle/preferences.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Tiny is the smallest size. So I did misremember the rule. (But I could get behind changing the Carrying Capacity rules to make it harsher on Small and Tiny creatures.)
It's not like there's a lot of advantages to being Small. And really, the only reason they didn't make the carry capacity different is that they didn't want to bother with small size gear weighing less, I imagine.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
But you were talking about what OneD&D could do to refocus the game towards that playstyle. It's implied that you think the game should do that. If your point was "how can I support focusing dungeon crawling in 5e more", you wouldn't have even mentioned OneD&D. Just ask for houserules to support your playstyle/preferences.
You misunderstand: I'm clarifying, and thereby asking you to engage in the intended discussion, even if I might have fumbled the initial invitation. So, again, I'm not interested in talking about whether it's a desirable goal. I'm interested in how it might be made to happen.

And just for additional clarity: many voices on this board have made it very clear that OneD&D is just 5E with a tweak here and there,so I think that qualifies as a reasonable request.

James Gasik

If you want 5e to go back to old school dungeon crawling, you need to have your players on board first. Ie, the game has to start with wanting to make people explore multi-level megadungeons again.

From there, you pare away abilities the players have that would make dungeoneering easier. No conjuring food or water. No rope trick, leomund's, spells that grant short rests. No purchasing potions of healing. I'm not sure messing with light sources is necessary (if we assume the bad guys use light too), but you could go the extra step of banning darkvision if you don't think your players will get tired of being ambushed by goblins for the 778th time.

More important than all of this though, is you'd have to bring navigation and mapping back as things parties needed to do, along with skill checks to avoid becoming lost.

Double down on Gary's old Tricks and Traps section from the 1e DMG. Publish more megadungeons, along with whatever explanations needed for a dungeon ecology to function. Include the why of the dungeon, since I think one of the reasons they fell out of favor was there being no real explanation for why there were these extremely large catacombs laying around (never mind how the monsters and breathe and other science facts, la la la!), who built all these traps and super sturdy locked doors, and who is maintaining all this stuff.

James Gasik

You misunderstand: I'm clarifying, and thereby asking you to engage in the intended discussion, even if I might have fumbled the initial invitation. So, again, I'm not interested in talking about whether it's a desirable goal. I'm interested in how it might be made to happen.

And just for additional clarity: many voices on this board have made it very clear that OneD&D is just 5E with a tweak here and there,so I think that qualifies as a reasonable request.
Uh, no. Just look at the playtest packets. There's a huge list of changes that make this more than ".5" edition. All the classes are being changed. All the subclasses are being changed. There is a change to many rules in the glossary. Backgrounds are changed. Feats are changed. Spells are changed. Spell preparation is changed.

And we're only two packets in!

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
.Publish more megadungeons, along with whatever explanations needed for a dungeon ecology to function. Include the why of the dungeon, since I think one of the reasons they fell out of favor was there being no real explanation for why there were these extremely large catacombs laying around (never mind how the monsters and breathe and other science facts, la la la!), who built all these traps and super sturdy locked doors, and who is maintaining all this stuff.
I'm not sure any of this s important. Dungeons are the very definition of the "weird" in the "weird fantasy" that inspired D&D. A brief glance at the dungeons of the OSR bears this out.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Uh, no. Just look at the playtest packets. There's a huge list of changes that make this more than ".5" edition. All the classes are being changed. All the subclasses are being changed. There is a change to many rules in the glossary. Backgrounds are changed. Feats are changed. Spells are changed. Spell preparation is changed.

And we're only two packets in!
There are many different takes on how big the change is going to be, but I think this thread is probably the wrong place for that argument.

Remove ads