• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What D&D can learn from spaghetti sauce

rounser

First Post
I mean seriously, any argument that starts with "I think D&D 4e is screwed based on future sales figures!" is horribly flawed right off the line.
But that's not what I'm arguing. I'm just saying it's still too early to say.

Zogmo

First Post
jdrakeh said:
Third, RPGs aren't spaghetti sauce ;)

Ok, now this statement is just plain silly! I usually read your posts and enjoy the thought you put behind them but this is just so wrong headed! This is the kind of statement that lead to all the spaghetti wars on these boards you know. Not spaghetti sauce, indeed!

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Zogmo said:
Ok, now this statement is just plain silly! I usually read your posts and enjoy the thought you put behind them but this is just so wrong headed! This is the kind of statement that lead to all the spaghetti wars on these boards you know. Not spaghetti sauce, indeed!

I apologize for my silliness. You're quite right. Pasta sauce will be definitively linked to D&D 4e in the year 2015. :D

xechnao

First Post
Wotc should experiment where exactly? They have enough distinct series that is hard to ask for such an extensive and dedicated research for each one of them.

Pbartender

First Post
Hrm... Well.

I guess it's a good thing, then, that D&D comes in Regular, Meaty, Spicy, Extra Chunky, and now Creamy Alfredo as well, so we choose the one we like.

It the store bought stuff still doesn't suit your tastes, feel free to add a little extra garlic or spice... Or, look up a good recipe and experiment with making your own homemade sauce.

rounser

First Post
I guess it's a good thing, then, that D&D comes in Regular, Meaty, Spicy, Extra Chunky, and now Creamy Alfredo as well, so we choose the one we like.
Not so. This pizza place offers just one choice of pizza, and it includes the toppings Dragonborn, Eladrin & Warlord. I could pick these toppings I didn't ask for off of my pizza, but they're still through all the artwork and references in the text, players will expect they're there etc. Their unwelcome anchovie-like flavour persists.

And how can you have Tieflings without Aasimar? The spiciness of the Tiefling isn't balanced by the creaminess of the Aasimar like I remember, and it burns my mouth. ;)

rounser

First Post
Au contraire... We have at least 5 different editions of D&D to chose from, more depending on how you count them. Pick the one you like.
Since my NPC Designer program stopped working (verification thingy won't work anymore), none of them now.

3E trumps the prior editions, but I don't want to face DMing it without my character generation proggie. And 4E seems to have established this ennui of phoneyness regarding D&D worlds for me.

It's like the thematic language of D&D is scrambled for me... in reading the new core books, tieflings and Kord aren't who they were before, dodgy stuff with no place like warlords and dragonborn have sprung up out of nowhere, for some reason jailers are all evil suddenly...and I was trying to make the effort to accept all this and mentally rewrite what I knew about D&D.

Something about "Bael Turath" which sounds like a random name plucked from someone's homebrew, oh and there's this world with no map which is whatever you want it to be, so in a way it doesn't even pretend to exist. But it didn't work, and now it all seems phoney, even the earlier edition worlds which I "bought" in a suspension of disbelief sense.

It left me looking at Talisman and Warhammer Quest type games for a replacement, but I don't think any of them do. So I'd be in Limbo, you could say, but that's gone too. :) Although they did pick my two favourite planes to bring into the limelight, so that's a plus...

rounser

First Post
In MY day, generic food metaphors used peanut butter and ice cream, and we LIKED it.
Generic food metaphors are full of fail. They are so last decade. Car analogies for the win. They are the new black.

You see, Mr. Ooi, your metaphors are far too messy and eventually go off, whereas these new car analogies are turbocharged and painted red, so they go faster. See the difference? Use them today and we'll even throw in a free set of steak knives.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads