• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What D&D Product Can Be Seen In The Crystals?

WotC has posted an image of a pile of crystals through which distorted glimpses of what looks like a product can be seen. In the comments below, folks have been flipping, enhancing, and generally squinting at the image behind the crystals, and while it's hard to make out, guesses include 'Journey Through the Radiant Ocean' (although I personally think that first letter looks more like an X or...

WotC has posted an image of a pile of crystals through which distorted glimpses of what looks like a product can be seen. In the comments below, folks have been flipping, enhancing, and generally squinting at the image behind the crystals, and while it's hard to make out, guesses include 'Journey Through the Radiant Ocean' (although I personally think that first letter looks more like an X or K than a J). 'Citadel' is also a popular guess for that last word--'Journey(s) to/from the Radiant Citadel'? Take a look and see what you think (or check the comments for flipped and enhanced versions).

Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 6.59.03 PM.png

In Spelljammer lore, the phlogiston--the space between the crystal spheres in which the prime material worlds can be found--is also known as the 'Rainbow Ocean'. And crystal seem on-brand for crystals spheres.

Below the text, the image appears to be of some kind of marketplace. Above it, WotC wrote "Through the depths of the Ethereal Plane is a beacon of possibility and adventure... "

There was apparently a press event today, pending some kind of product announcement on Tuesday.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
OK, so the leaker on DNDLeaks says that this cover is not the Spelljammer book, but a Candlekeep style compilation only, and that Spelljammer and Dragonlance are coming later this year.

Take with a grain if salt, we'll know in a few days.

Staffan

Legend
Night. Sun. Dark Sun?

Any diamond/bone/castle locations of note in Athas? Maybe there will be side trips to other settings... the cameo that was hinted at?
The Dragon's Crown adventure had one part take place on an island in the Sea of Silt where you explore an ancient castle full of bones and undead, but that's a castle with undead, not of undead. There's also a large region to the south of the "core" lands that are full of undead, and where the ground is covered in obsidian – I don't think there were any specific castles mentioned there in the material, but the whole region was added in the Revised & Expanded box set, and it only got like a page or two of description.

That said, I'd be very surprised if this has to do with Dark Sun.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, operating on the assumption that this is an Adventure compilation that is not the Spelljammer or Dragonlance product, I could see maybe a high level focused set of weird, planar material that q DM can slot in for upper Tier players, or spin a weird ca.paign from. I predict some major NPC like Mordenkainen may be involved.

Last edited:

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Well, we are supposed to expect a "cameo" for q Classic Setting thus year, so maybe a compilation of small Sigil adjacent Adventures without detailed Setting information would make sense.

Marketplaces are universal, we don't have wnough of a view to be clear on this at all.
OOOH! Ideally it's a Spelljammer book that keeps Spelljammer Spelljammer with maybe an appendix mentioning Planescape. I can deal with that.

Oh, he says there is a Spelljammer book later this year: this upcoming book is unrelated, allegedly. He wins the Internets if he is right.

I think there is a good chance he is right. I think it might partly be Speljammer related, but it's not the Spelljammers. They aren't going to make the classic setting book they promised with piles of races an adventure anthology.

Hopefully this book isn't the only one announced.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think there is a good chance he is right. I think it might partly be Speljammer related, but it's not the Spelljammers. They aren't going to make the classic setting book they promised with piles of races an adventure anthology.

Hopefully this book isn't the only one announced.
He ses very confident, and was calling Dragonlance way before the UA. We'll see shortly.

pukunui

Legend
OK, so the leaker on DNDLeaks says that this cover is not the Spelljammer book, but a Candlekeep style compilation only, and that Spelljammer and Dragonlance are coming later this year.

Take with a grain if salt, we'll know in a few days.
If the leaker is correct, then they're most likely a playtester (or writer) in violation of an NDA. What is "DNDLeaks"? Is it a reddit thread or something?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If the leaker is correct, then they're most likely a playtester (or writer) in violation of an NDA. What is "DNDLeaks"? Is it a reddit thread or something?
It's a subreddit, yup, dedicated to D&D product speculation (more often pirong over teases than leaks, properly speaking). The leader claims to "work in the industry" in some capacity thst allows them to physically see the books early, allegedly. I got eh impression it was more on the physical peint production side than playtesting.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
In the last few minutes he tweeted those emoji again, but in a slightly different order.

Night. Sun. Diamond. Bone. Castle.

He clearly thinks it’s a clue.
Well it if is Spelljammer clue:
It might be a reference to the space maps. Given that the Castle is two spots to the right in both ordering, it could be referring to an asteroid called "The Castle" that orbits Toril (the third planet of Realmsspace)

But I have no idea what the bone would be for.

Remove ads

Remove ads