D&D 5E What D&D Product Can Be Seen In The Crystals?

WotC has posted an image of a pile of crystals through which distorted glimpses of what looks like a product can be seen. In the comments below, folks have been flipping, enhancing, and generally squinting at the image behind the crystals, and while it's hard to make out, guesses include 'Journey Through the Radiant Ocean' (although I personally think that first letter looks more like an X or...

WotC has posted an image of a pile of crystals through which distorted glimpses of what looks like a product can be seen. In the comments below, folks have been flipping, enhancing, and generally squinting at the image behind the crystals, and while it's hard to make out, guesses include 'Journey Through the Radiant Ocean' (although I personally think that first letter looks more like an X or K than a J). 'Citadel' is also a popular guess for that last word--'Journey(s) to/from the Radiant Citadel'? Take a look and see what you think (or check the comments for flipped and enhanced versions).

Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 6.59.03 PM.png

In Spelljammer lore, the phlogiston--the space between the crystal spheres in which the prime material worlds can be found--is also known as the 'Rainbow Ocean'. And crystal seem on-brand for crystals spheres.

Below the text, the image appears to be of some kind of marketplace. Above it, WotC wrote "Through the depths of the Ethereal Plane is a beacon of possibility and adventure... "

There was apparently a press event today, pending some kind of product announcement on Tuesday.

Maybe the adventure starts off at Sigil, and then the overall goal is to Spelljammer on over to Saridor's citadel, where the main crux of the adventure is to restore Saridor himself. Along the way, you'll meet Boo, who is Captain of his own Spelljammer ship with Minsc as his first mate!
Since it is supposed to be a collection of adventures rather than a campaign, there wouldn't be any overall goal. And I haven't seen anything whatsoever to connect this to Sigil.

Hutchimus Prime

Adventurer
Since it is supposed to be a collection of adventures rather than a campaign, there wouldn't be any overall goal. And I haven't seen anything whatsoever to connect this to Sigil.
It could always be that Sigil/Rock of Braal/“Radiant Citadel” is given the Saltmarsh or Candlekeep treatment in an early chapter of the book followed by the collection of adventures.

It could always be that Sigil/Rock of Braal/“Radiant Citadel” is given the Saltmarsh or Candlekeep treatment in an early chapter of the book followed by the collection of adventures.
The title implies that the Radiant Citadel is the hub. Not Sigil, not the Rock of Braal (Spelljammer and the Rock of Braal are still coming, but this aint it).

WotC are bringing out two classic settings this year. But this product isn't either of them.

Last edited:

Hutchimus Prime

Adventurer
The title implies that the Radiant Citadel is the hub. Not Sigil, not the Rock of Braal (Spelljammer and the Rock of Braal are still coming, but this aint it).

WotC are bringing out two classic settings this year. But this product isn't either of them.
I get that…which is why I included “Radiant Citadel” as an option for the same overview treatment that both Saltmarsh and Candlekeep received in their adventure compilation books.

And until tomorrow we won’t know for sure what “setting” this adventure compilation will use as its spine (except for WOTC employees and press who attended the press event on Friday).

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Any depiction, no matter how stylised, of a fox is going to have a long sharp muzzle. That is the animal's most recognisable feature. Foxes also have large upright ears.
That figure has both a sharp muzzle and large upright ears. The face is looking back at us.

Edit: I'm looking at the smaller figure that looks farther away and is immediately under the bat's head. It looks like a fox looking back at us.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Any depiction, no matter how stylised, of a fox is going to have a long sharp muzzle. That is the animal's most recognisable feature. Foxes also have large upright ears.

The small sharp nose suggests a mouse, but the round cheeks, round eyes and ear shape more strongly suggests a hamster.
th

Rat is possible. They are usually depicted with longer noses, but this could be put down to human prejudice.
fancy-rats-534x462.jpg
I mean, it has bat wings and clothes: it's some sort of bat person.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Despite not being a setting book, despite not having any of the words "plane", "scape" "spell" or "jammer" in the title and despite having no evidence of ships or Sigil on the cover?
🤷‍♂️
Could be the Grand Bazaar in Sigil. Could also be a marketplace on Bral, and the actual full image would show a spacescape beyond the market.

Remove ads

Remove ads