• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What D&D Product Can Be Seen In The Crystals?

WotC has posted an image of a pile of crystals through which distorted glimpses of what looks like a product can be seen. In the comments below, folks have been flipping, enhancing, and generally squinting at the image behind the crystals, and while it's hard to make out, guesses include 'Journey Through the Radiant Ocean' (although I personally think that first letter looks more like an X or...

WotC has posted an image of a pile of crystals through which distorted glimpses of what looks like a product can be seen. In the comments below, folks have been flipping, enhancing, and generally squinting at the image behind the crystals, and while it's hard to make out, guesses include 'Journey Through the Radiant Ocean' (although I personally think that first letter looks more like an X or K than a J). 'Citadel' is also a popular guess for that last word--'Journey(s) to/from the Radiant Citadel'? Take a look and see what you think (or check the comments for flipped and enhanced versions).

Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 6.59.03 PM.png

In Spelljammer lore, the phlogiston--the space between the crystal spheres in which the prime material worlds can be found--is also known as the 'Rainbow Ocean'. And crystal seem on-brand for crystals spheres.

Below the text, the image appears to be of some kind of marketplace. Above it, WotC wrote "Through the depths of the Ethereal Plane is a beacon of possibility and adventure... "

There was apparently a press event today, pending some kind of product announcement on Tuesday.

A few things: First, is it coming in 2024? I'm not finding the date for that.

Second, the exact wording in the tweet can be interpreted as having enough wiggle room to not actually be a campaign setting book, but instead something else. Like an adventure path.

"...as well as a return to a setting we've already covered." It's not outside of the realm of possibility that the "revisit" could very well just be an AP set in a campaign we've already covered. I wouldn't be surprised that's what happens, and I will keep my expectations in check just in case!

He's called it a revisited setting, it's not an adventure.

G

Guest 7034872

But if the puzzle was a cheat that didn't point to a solution, people would soon lose interest. Maybe not this time, but next time they tried it they would ignore it.
I doubt that very much.

Think of their post less like a puzzle and more like a teaser trailer the only real goal of which is to whip fans into a frenzy. Let us further suppose that most fans recognize the post in those terms and have no quarrel with WotC using such a tactic. The next time they release such a teaser what will happen? All the Very Smart People on the internet who enjoy indulging in all sorts of speculations and arguments about their speculations will do exactly the same thing they're doing right now: obsess and salivate.

I doubt that very much.

Think of their post less like a puzzle and more like a teaser trailer the only real goal of which is to whip fans into a frenzy. Let us further suppose that most fans recognize the post in those terms and have no quarrel with WotC using such a tactic. The next time they release such a teaser what will happen? All the Very Smart People on the internet who enjoy indulging in all sorts of speculations and arguments about their speculations will do exactly the same thing they're doing right now: obsess and salivate.
I don't think think so. Did you see the anger when the answer to Wordle was Caulk? It made the national news. And that was just obscure, not unsolvable. Cheating on your puzzles is a good way to whip up anger, not salivation.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
What was @Paul Farquhar full theory? It's gotten buried in this thread.
Mixing some odd, out of left field lore changes about Saridor's being dead with Gem Dragons seeking his cosmic rebirth from Fizban's, with Saridor's traditional Planejumping Ruby Palace: making the Ruby Palace a "Radisnt Citadel" thst can be a plansr vehicle slash home-based, that can be tied with disparate Adventures in a compilation.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Mixing some odd, out of left field lore changes about Saridor's being dead with Gem Dragons seeking his cosmic rebirth from Fizban's, with Saridor's traditional Planejumping Ruby Palace: making the Ruby Palace a "Radisnt Citadel" thst can be a plansr vehicle slash home-based, that can be tied with disparate Adventures in a compilation.
Yep, basically mashing up Sigil with Yawning Portal. It's all about the nexus these days.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
It also accounts for the classic Setting "cameo"
Yep - in a somewhat obtuse way. Basically reskinning Sigil as the Radiant Citadel, unless they opt for the Rock of Bal instead. But I'm now leaning more this way since it was mentioned there will likely be a Spelljammer book later this year.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yep - in a somewhat obtuse way. Basically reskinning Sigil as the Radiant Citadel, unless they opt for the Rock of Bal instead. But I'm now leaning more this way since it was mentioned there will likely be a Spelljammer book later this year.
Well, bit replacing Sigil with this Radiant Citadel, but traversing the Great Wheel in q Planar TARDIS, touching on Planescape themes. I think we'll see a Sigil book eventually.

Remove ads

Remove ads