• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What D&D Product Can Be Seen In The Crystals?

WotC has posted an image of a pile of crystals through which distorted glimpses of what looks like a product can be seen. In the comments below, folks have been flipping, enhancing, and generally squinting at the image behind the crystals, and while it's hard to make out, guesses include 'Journey Through the Radiant Ocean' (although I personally think that first letter looks more like an X or...

WotC has posted an image of a pile of crystals through which distorted glimpses of what looks like a product can be seen. In the comments below, folks have been flipping, enhancing, and generally squinting at the image behind the crystals, and while it's hard to make out, guesses include 'Journey Through the Radiant Ocean' (although I personally think that first letter looks more like an X or K than a J). 'Citadel' is also a popular guess for that last word--'Journey(s) to/from the Radiant Citadel'? Take a look and see what you think (or check the comments for flipped and enhanced versions).

Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 6.59.03 PM.png

In Spelljammer lore, the phlogiston--the space between the crystal spheres in which the prime material worlds can be found--is also known as the 'Rainbow Ocean'. And crystal seem on-brand for crystals spheres.

Below the text, the image appears to be of some kind of marketplace. Above it, WotC wrote "Through the depths of the Ethereal Plane is a beacon of possibility and adventure... "

There was apparently a press event today, pending some kind of product announcement on Tuesday.

I've read through a lot of Fizban's, and I'm using it as the basis for a lot of the lore for my new spelljammer-adjacent campaign. It frames the greatwyrms trying to resurrect Sardior as being an apocalyptic group. This is because the death of Sardior didn't just destroy Sardior and create the gem dragons from the fragments, but also destroyed the First World and created the worlds of the multiverse from the fragments.

In this way, Sardior's death serves a lore function and sets up Spelljammer/Planejammer, unifying the origin stories of the various settings.

The book is absolutely full of things trying to set up a multi-world setting. It talks a lot about Dragonsight, a power dragons have to communicate with their echoes in other worlds. The cult trying to raise Sardior specifically is encouraging as many dragons as possible to awaken their dragonsight. This is because dragons who communicate with their echoes can merge their conciousnesses across universes, which is how a dragon ascends to becoming a Greatwyrm. The cult believes that this process of merging dragons across universes will eventually reverse the fragmenting of Sardior.

More relevant for mortals is the possibility that bringing back Sardior would ALSO cause the multiverse to collapse back into the First World, as his destruction is what turned the First World into a multiverse in the first place. If THAT happened, all of the material plane as we know it would be destroyed.

Of course, whether any of this would be possible is pretty dubious, and would likely be stopped by the Gods anyway.
Yes, I got that impression. No one is quite sure what would happen if Sardior where brought back, but the total destruction of the multiverse wasn't off the cards! What are those crystal spheres that protect the material worlds from phlogiston made from anyway?

Come to think of it, there are elements in Icewind Dale (no spoilers) that could be used to set up something like an edition reboot. Not to mention that (aside from a slight tweak to humanoid alignment), it feels like the last "old-style" 5E book... maybe that's when Sardior shattered.
I wonder if any players ever got that ending to RotFM? You had to jump through quite a few hoops for no apparent purpose.

Remove ads

Remove ads