• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What did Monte mean?

Henry said:
ZOMG! Monte was dissing d20! He is teh suck! Oh, wait, wrong thread. :)

Given in its original context (I remember the thread) he was joking ad absurdium - kind of like portraying Mother Theresa decked out with stakes and crosses and battling vampires a la Blade.

She was the scourge of Calcutta vampires for decades!

joe b.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Piratecat said:
But actually, I'm saying that Monte was clearly joking, that you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet, that this is how bad internet rumors get started, that conspiracies aren't actually crouching in the shadows, and that I can't actually believe someone would take that seriously. It's a little embarrassing to have to be explicit about this. :)

Yeah, it sucks having to explain a joke.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
airwalkrr said:
Actually, I have inside information that Monte Cook was serious...

From a well-informed source? Got to be a well-informed source. A well-informed source can be anything like a guy you overheard on a crowded train to the delustional store-owner who makes up stuff how he met Ed Greenwood in a colon clinic. :p

Umbran said:
Heard the term, sure. But whatever else we may think of him, Monte has repeatedly shown himself to be highly professional in behavior, with far too much class to slight his coworkers in public like that.

And myself as well, not to mention the work of my career of which I'm most proud.

If I remember the thread, it was entitled "What do you REALLY think of d20," or something like that, which I thought was a funny thread to post here at ENWorld in the first place. So I jokingly said that it was terrible and designed by hacks. That's a joke. It's irony. Self-depricating irony. When I saw Diaglo and others putting it into their sig, I thought it was funny, but later worried that just this sort of thing would happen. Oh well.

Wik

First Post
Don't listen to Monte, guys. I remember that night fairly well.

Me and Monte were out hitting the bars and the prostitutes. Monte was nose deep in Brazilian marching powder and was well on his 42nd shot of ZIMA. Finally, he gets in front of a computer.

"...monte" I said warningly.

"No! I... I havve... to tell... the truth! I have to get it out, man... YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE!" monte said.

And then, he let slip his deepest, darkest fears for the whole world to see. On EN World.

...I haven't seen monte since.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads