D&D General What DM-skills are you bad at?

Stormonu

Legend
Tracking time. I’ve never been very good at tracking the number of days passed in a campaign, and lately that’s been a problem for my Saltmarsh campaign where there’s been a ticking clock of a goblinoid invasion in a fortnight’s time, and the doomclock for a sahaugin invasion.

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Using VTTs. Roll20 is just a lot of work for me. For Traveller, I made my own excel spreadsheets. They work, but are not aesthetically pleasing. Im a slow learner in this space too.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I don't take notes. And I drink when I play. So if it's been two weeks since last game, some details will not be remembered, and my group covers a LOT of content per session. Luckily, the players remember just fine, so I outsource that to them.

Just this week I wanted to write a quick recap and I was like uhhhhhh something about hunting a legendary alligator and like 2 of you got married to the moonshiner's daughters? The players filled in the rest thankfully.

For me my biggest weakness is accents. I'm SO bad at them, that I don't even try.

Same. I don't even attempt them anymore. My players once confused my Italian priest for an Irish Priest in a mafia game. And I really should have an ear for both at this point.

I am also pretty terrible at acting in general. So I tend to speak pretty dry as a GM. And if I do act things up, it is very hammy

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Talking in character! I cant do voices, and doing many characters speaking all at once is a chore and confusing when players try to interject. So for a while I've been doing a 3rd person kind of storytelling, same for my players. We narrate the actions instead of acting it. Works pretty well so far.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Filler Words and Stuttering.

Unless I've scripted out specific phrases in advance, I often have breaks in my speech like "Uh" or "Um". I also have trouble letting go of a mispronounced word, which causes stuttering as I repeat the word, again, to try and pronounce it correctly. This is especially important for complex names and setting-based terminology.

Remove ads