• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do Clerics lose when taking a PrC?

I am pretty sure they Turn Undead at their CLERIC level, i.e. they don't advance that anymore.

Do they lose advancement in Domain Spells? Can they still use Spontaneous Healing?

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
It depends on the PrC. If it is a "+1 to existing spellcaster class", they get the spells, the domain spells and the spontaneous casting. Turn Undead does not advance unless the PrC specifies it does.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Any level based domain abilities use the cleric level, not the PRC levels, although you still get the higher level domain spell slots. (Travel domain, Trickery Domain, elemental domains, Magic domain, Plant domain, Protection domain, etc.)

Turn undead uses the cleric level, not the PRC levels (unless the PRC specifically grants that ability).

Caliban said:
Any level based domain abilities use the cleric level, not the PRC levels, although you still get the higher level domain spell slots. (Travel domain, Trickery Domain, elemental domains, Magic domain, Plant domain, Protection domain, etc.)

In other words, you get access to these spells, but they are cast at your Cleric level not adding in the PrC?

mikebr99

Explorer
Beard in the Sky said:
In other words, you get access to these spells, but they are cast at your Cleric level not adding in the PrC?
No... If you have the Strength domain for instance... you get all the spells in that domain, and can use them at your caster level... but the 1 round STR boost is at your cleric level, not your caster level.

Mike

Kilamar

First Post
We ruled that Domain Spells were excluded.

They are more like spell-like abilities than actual spells and we thought the disadvantages for chosing a PRC were otherwse too minor.

Kilamar

We ruled that Domain Spells were excluded.

Interesting house rule, but I'm not sure how well my players would take to it. Domains are one of the most important ways to "personalize" a cleric. To drop the spells from them would take a major cut into that.

Coredump

Explorer
I am assuming he meant that you don't advance with domain spells. Not that you lose the ones you already have.

There should be *some* incentive to stay in a core class.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Coredump said:
I am assuming he meant that you don't advance with domain spells. Not that you lose the ones you already have.

There should be *some* incentive to stay in a core class.

The contemplative is a good example -- it loses a good save (I think), turn undead, BA, and domain abilities, and has a smaller Hit Die. The loremaster is similar...

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Clerics can give up a lot more than wizards or sorcs....especially sorcs....since they have better saves, higher HD,e tc.

"What? This class gives me 10 levels of spellcasting, and special abilities? And I give up.....familiar powers?! I punt my pet squirrel off the cliff and take it!"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads