• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do Giants eat?

Joker

First Post
A while ago a friend of mine (my DM actually, so not really a friend) was talking to me about the campaign and characters. I don't really know, I wasn't paying attention. But then he mentioned Giants and it hit me.
So I says to him, I says: What do Giants eat?
Now, I didn't ask this because of any particular interest in their diet but more in the sense that I was wondering where all their food comes from.
I mean, they're big, right? That must mean that they eat an inordinate amount of food. But that got me thinking: Where do they grow all the crops? Where is there room for all crops? Or do they just eat meat, like a captured Tarasque or something, that regenerates?
Which got me thinking of something else.
My DM then said that they just have giant versions of crops like meter wide coffee beans for that nice morning cappuccino. But what if some commoner steals one of their beans, they would completely ruin the coffee bean market.
Of course, one possibility is that there are very few giants and while they may eat a lot individually, because of their small numbers they don't have a very large impact on the supply of food in world.
But if that's true that would mean that they're an endangered species. I hope you remember that the next time the DM brings forth a poor Storm Giant in an adventure.

Thoughts?

Torment

First Post
hahaha, that made me laugh this morning.

I don't have my monster manual, but I would think they maybe eat meat? But then where do they get their vitamin C...

theres a pretty good idea for a upcoming campaign:

peasants - we're starving, the giants ate all the food in the region
giants - there's no more food :(

Wolfwood2

Explorer
Joker said:
So I says to him, I says: What do Giants eat?
Now, I didn't ask this because of any particular interest in their diet but more in the sense that I was wondering where all their food comes from.
I mean, they're big, right? That must mean that they eat an inordinate amount of food. But that got me thinking: Where do they grow all the crops? Where is there room for all crops?

Well how much is an inordinate amount of food?

Let's look at it by weight. I'm going to look at the size Large giants (most of them) because the Huge ones tend to be much more magical and have funky powers, so they could be living on cloud mist or something. Here are the average weights for adult males. Let's assume the average human male is 150 lbs.

Fire Giants - 7,000 lbs (46 times the weight of a human being)

Frost Giants - 2,800 lbs (19 times the weight of a human being)

Hill Giants - 1,100 lbs (7 times the weight of a human being)

Stone Giants - 1,500 lbs (10 times the weight of a human being)

The reason fire giants weigh so much more is that they're basically built like dwarves. Incredibly thick and nearly as wide as they are tall. Anyway, that's a lot of food all right.

Black_Swan

First Post
Haha..could you imagine living in a village that's down wind of one of those endangered giants.

It'd be like living next to one of the garbage dumps on the Jersey Turnpike...

Sometimes it smells like cake but more often than not it smells like @#$*

DaveyJones

First Post
they are the top of the food pyramid so they are fewer in number than all the other levels of the pyramid scheme

edit: besides you can make Plant monsters. Attack of the Colossal Killer Tomato

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads